TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Front & Rear Suspension 60' Rambler

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elmusso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Front & Rear Suspension 60' Rambler
    Posted: May/17/2017 at 3:18pm
I want to upgrade the front and rear suspension, i am wondering if there is an IFS kit out there that will work for my car, also which is the best 4-link kit I can use, or if I have to fabricate my own. I plan on  putting a ford 8.8 and plan on dropping in either a Mopar 360 or a 440 in it.  Your advice would be grewatly appreciated.

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2017 at 12:40am
i've found that for the pre-64 Americans, which are Nash Rambler cars gussied up for AMC, that you are on your own. you must fabricate everything. nothing will bolt on, and even replacement parts are hard to find. 

the pre-64 americans share little "DNA" with any other AMC car. the 64-up are complete redesigns, the same in name only. the 199/232 doesn't fit in the earlier car. suspensions are utterly unique. 

the rear won't be hard to put a narrowed Ford axle under. you'll have to fab spring mounts, not a big deal. it's inches too wide as-is though. the FOrd driveshaft is too big to fit in the tiny tunnel, you'll have to make up a driveshaft (not a big deal, mine cost $125 in Los Angeles). if you really want 4-link out back you need to do some *engineering*, not just fab. it's a unibody, no frame.

these things are a truly old-world car. i like mine a lot, but it's not exactly easy to find parts for. it's a complete orphan.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

elmusso View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elmusso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2017 at 11:19am
thats how i am feeling about my Rambler, but atleast now I wont waste my time trying to find anything for it and just put that time in to fabricating and adding to the sub frame.  

thanks for the info
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2017 at 6:36am
The front suspension is actually superior to the Mustang II so often used. It's not hard to rebuild though parts can be a bit high, but not as high as the cost of replacing it. It will easily hold a V-8 -- the old 196 six cylinder is just around 50# shy of a small block, and AMC put V-8s in the cars with the same suspension, just different springs. So you can order V-8 springs if you want (the Gen1 AMC V-8 weighs around 600#), or order custom springs. That is the biggest improvement you can make.

The old Ramblers were sprung rather light due to road conditions and tires back then. With a small block being so close in weight to the old Rambler six I'd just order a spring about 15% stiffer than stock, at the installed height you want. The 1960 TSM has the spring specs in it. The factory six cylinder HD spring might be okay with a V-8, it's about 20% stiffer than stock and is a bit on the hard side with the six. Don't have a TSM handy, and don't recall how the six cylinder springs compare the the V-8. Modern radials have a lot softer sidewalls than the old bias ply tires, so they absorb a lot more road shock.

For the rear check out this thread: http://theamcforum.com/forum/rear-end-swap-5666-classic_topic11214.html
Lots of ideas and photos. You can weld in a generic four link system without too much trouble. Will have to do some fab work, but not too difficult. The factory unit body will support it, no need to back half the car. TomJs "wishbone" rear axle locating works well too, check it out.
http://www.sensitiveresearch.com/1961-Rambler-Roadster/axletransupgrade/index.html

The late mode Ford Ranger axle is about the right width for the early 60s/late 50s big Ramblers. It's about 1.5" narrower than an Explorer. You might need a bit deeper wheel, but no narrowing. The early Ranger (pre 94) axle is about 1.5" narrower than the late, and is about the same width as the stock early big Rambler axle. Hard to find an 8.8 in the early Ranger though -- 1990-93 4.0L or commercial chassis only. Not many non-commercial chassis models with the 8.8, and most commercial models were just worn out and discarded... plus they have lower gears (box trucks and flat beds, mostly).
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic