TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

TV cable adjustment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graewolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TV cable adjustment
    Posted: May/14/2017 at 11:00am
I just replaced the exhaust manifold on my '65 American 232/auto. Trying to adjust the tv cable according to the TSM,  i ran out of threads. Cable too long by 3/8-5/16 inch. Tried to find a picture of the mount bolted to the man, could only come up with one, and it was out of focus. need a close up pic 'cause I'm thinking my mount may be bent. Mine bolts to rear of manifold with two bolts in uprights cast into manifold at rear, roughly 90 degree bend dropping down to another bend which is really tight. Over 90 deg, like around 130-135 degrees. My thinking, may be wrong but, this bottom bend should be closer to 90, not bent back on itself so tight. This is the end where the  tv cable is mounted in a slot. Somebody had been in there way back in the dim times of history because when i bought it, this cable was disconnected and dangling. Any body got a pic of this bracket? Or info? 
Thanks in advance for any info!

Perk

P.S. Really want to drive this thing soon, it's my convert!  Cool
Americans, 65 Convertible, 64-65 Wagons, 64 220 2Dr, 66 2Dr Hardtop..... They follow me home!!!
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2017 at 6:46am
Sounds like it may have been a 196 car with the 232 transplanted at some point, and the 196 bracket forced to fit.

First thin to do is make sure the cable moves freely. You should be able to hold the end between a thumb and finger and easily move it in and out. If you can't, that bend is probably the issue. If it's harder to move the cable end may buckle instead of pushing in with the throttle (cable is out at idle, pushes in as throttle is pressed).  I'd just bend the bracket as necessary to get proper operation. I know the TV cable M-35 was used in 63 and 64 behind the 196, not sure about the 65 American with factory 232. Most 232s used an M-37, which is slightly stronger than the 35 and I think has a vacuum modulator/electric kickdown instead of a TV cable. The M-35 will work behind a 232 with no problem, but may not be a factory installation. 
Frank Swygert
amc67rogue View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc67rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2017 at 9:58am
The 65 Americans with factory 232 did use the M-35, I owned one.
Keith Coggins 67Rogue X code
graewolf View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graewolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2017 at 10:53am
Thanks Farna! Guess I'll take the bracket to work and and "adjust" it. Could age and stretch be part of the problem? Cable works in and out easy, pulled all the way out, it's too long .
This is the third one i'v seen with the 232/auto w/tv cable. The others were a few years ago and not here to look at. Thanks for confirming that Rogue.
Thanks for the info.....

Perk
Americans, 65 Convertible, 64-65 Wagons, 64 220 2Dr, 66 2Dr Hardtop..... They follow me home!!!
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2017 at 12:57pm
It's protrusion is less important than it's depression.

With engine off, at WOT, the trans cable clevis adjustment should have it fully depressed against it's internal spring into the sheath: this is the #1 adjustment.

This setting give max line pressure to all hydraulic circuits to provide 'firmness' in operation; less slip = lower trans oil temp & extended life span for the unit.

(IMO... unless one desires the trans to shift soft, which will make it less durable)

Back off from there, to reduce your upshift speeds to acceptable level. -This setting will differ from unit to unit which is directly related to pump condition and seal quality inside the trans.

Sometimes on the AM Warner Gear automatic trans units, priority for backing off the adjustment is to reduce 'bang' into reverse (cable controlled or vacuum modulator, depends on how much pressure the trans pump is making)

Sometimes I use '20 mph school zone rule' where trans cable is adjusted to cruise quietly by the police officer, not having the trans 'hang up' in a lower gear...
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
Midnight Rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midnight Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2017 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

Sounds like it may have been a 196 car with the 232 transplanted at some point, and the 196 bracket forced to fit.

First thin to do is make sure the cable moves freely. You should be able to hold the end between a thumb and finger and easily move it in and out. If you can't, that bend is probably the issue. If it's harder to move the cable end may buckle instead of pushing in with the throttle (cable is out at idle, pushes in as throttle is pressed).  I'd just bend the bracket as necessary to get proper operation. I know the TV cable M-35 was used in 63 and 64 behind the 196, not sure about the 65 American with factory 232. Most 232s used an M-37, which is slightly stronger than the 35 and I think has a vacuum modulator/electric kickdown instead of a TV cable. The M-35 will work behind a 232 with no problem, but may not be a factory installation. 
My M-37 has a vacuum modulator, electric solenoid kickdown activated by a thottle arm depressing a momentary switch under the hood, and mine is also one of the water cooled ones.

'66 American 440 Convertible 290/M-40/AMC 20 3.15/PS/PB
'04 Jeep Wrangler X Rocky Mountain Edition 4.0 5sp
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2017 at 4:50pm
I have M35's from a 65 American and a 66 T/T Ambassador, both had 232's in front. I had an M37 from a 67 American. If they changed to M37 in 66 they must have just hung on to the M35 for the torque tube cars until the last of their run in 66.  
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2017 at 8:36pm
Per 64 TSM

With carburetor throttle valve in the hot idle position (off fast idle cam) engine not running, disconnect the throttle cable at lever on carburetor throttle control shaft. Pull throttle cable toward carburetor and adjust clevis to obtain a "free" pin fit in the throttle shaft lever hole. Then adjust clevis two turns long.
graewolf View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graewolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2017 at 11:53pm
Straightend the bracket out a smidge at both bends, think i'll be able to adjust now! THANKS everyone for your help and suggestions! I think I'll take her out this weekend after all.....Big smile

Perk
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic