TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - pre-64 American control arm bushings -- UNAVAILABL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

pre-64 American control arm bushings -- UNAVAILABL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2017 at 11:41pm
OK, the NAPA part is wrong. this is classic "catalog collapse" stuff. so far, everyone that has a "new" part is actually sending the "big car" part (1.25" press-in OD).

a 1963 upper or lower bushing is at the bottom. they do "look the same", so you can imagine some underpaid dork tasked with "consolidate all the identical parts into one" in the back room of some big manufacturer. consequences be damned.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2017 at 11:50pm
ahh crap, i could have sworn that the uppers and lowers were substituable but in my bag of used parts from last time, they two are different. i need to regroup.  in any case the bushing above, and others like it, match neither.

amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2017 at 12:10am
Hey Tom -found this source for urethane stock for possible urethane bushing fabrication:

http://stores.ebay.com/Best-Source-For-Urethane-Products?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Maybe there's a listing in your local Craigslist by a machininst with lathe looking for jobs? -who could cut your urethane bar stock for press fit into your steel bushing sleeves?
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2017 at 12:35am
Originally posted by amcenthusiast amcenthusiast wrote:

Hey Tom -found this source for urethane stock for possible urethane bushing fabrication:

http://stores.ebay.com/Best-Source-For-Urethane-Products?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Maybe there's a listing in your local Craigslist by a machinist with lathe looking for jobs? -who could cut your urethane bar stock for press fit into your steel bushing sleeves?

thanks for that -- it may come to that. i have a spare junk suspension in the pile, i will pull one side apart and see wtf bushings it uses, and which is top and bottom.

from the Moog sheet and my calipers, BR117 is an exact match for the "smooth" bushing (top or bottom i'll determine) and BR58 for the ridged one, i think (outer sleeve long but may not matter). pirate4x4.com crosses BR117 EXACT MATCH pirate4x4 says AMC number 3166214

of course BR58 and BR117 aren't readily available, nor are the "kit" numbers. general google search nor parts store sites. i searched for the clevite numbers too.

well this will be more involved than expected. i'll disassemble the spare suspension and figure this out.

6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2017 at 9:38pm
Try this NAPA number, it looks more like your photo and the OD is 1.14":

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NCZ2673232
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
PlazinJavelin View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlazinJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2017 at 7:35pm
Back during my bushing adventure Freecat1 gave me a pair of bushings he'd tried on his 69 American wagon. They didn't quite fit so he pulled and replaced them. Eventually I wound up with them. They didn't look like a match my 69 Jav arms either, so I tossed them in a box and went on to find my own set.

I found the box, and here is a couple of pictures. The are a little beat of from being installed then removed from the wagon, but nothing serious and the rubber is in great shape. They're yours if you can use them.

pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2017 at 9:19pm
If you google capemi bushing and the number 3149622 you can see the dimensions for those bushings and they are listed for a Renault Rambler. Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
PlazinJavelin View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlazinJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2017 at 9:41pm
A sad lol, I have Renault parts. Explains Freecat1 fitment problem.
ClassicCustom400 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClassicCustom400 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2017 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

Originally posted by ClassicCustom400 ClassicCustom400 wrote:

In stock all day long at Galvin's AMC Rambler Parts.
Sold 2 complete Upper & Lower Bushing sets this week.
Never been an issue in re-stocking these bushings.  We also have NOS Lower Control Arms with Bushings in them.

NOS rubber is absolutely unusable. it simply doesn't last. as it is, the "new" parts we can get from rockauto etc are generally 5, 10 years old, and that's bad for rubber. not once have i bought 20+ year old rubber and had it last even a year. i drive my cars hard, they're not sunday show cars. 
are the replacement bushings (not the NOS arms) new-old-stock, or "new" replacements?

Some are new, and some are older.  Depends on the bushing, and where our sources got them.  Mostly new on control arms.  There are some that are just not available.  Rejected one last month, rubber was all cracked, sent it back, the rest of our 10-3059 control arm bushings were fine.

Benjamin
JeepComancher
www.ClassicCustom400.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic