TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Clonking steering column Ambo.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clonking steering column Ambo.
    Posted: Apr/30/2017 at 8:58am
Just lately, I notice that when the engine's idling or when I'm accelerating there's a loud rattle/clonk from the upper part of the steering column. It seems the shift lever and outer shroud of the column shift is rattling about. I see the shift lever waving around like a cheer leader.

I had the shift housing apart a couple of hundred miles ago to fix the sloppy selector, but I didn't remove the shroud.

Is there any way to fix this?

Ivor
63 Canadian Ambo 990 V8 327
74 LandRover Lightweight V8 SIII
Shopping Trolley
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2017 at 5:52pm
Took it apart again today.
The nuts holding the turn signal in place were still tight, so it wasn't that, but between the steering wheel and the top bearing there is a spring and a seat.

I see from a drg in the TSM that the seat should be under the spring, not on top as it was assembled, and the seat was upside down.

Can't drive the car just now so haven't been able to confirm this fixed the problem, but I suspect it will.

Must be the last idiot who was in there misassembled it. Wonder who that was. Oh.

Ivor
Shopping Trolley
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2017 at 6:13pm
yes, i am certain that you are the very first person to ever make a misteak reassembling a rambler. lol.

could be motor mounts, or transmission mounts, or the mysterious thrust bushings between the trans crossmember and the chassis. no one ever loves those.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2017 at 4:18am
Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

could be motor mounts, or transmission mounts, or the mysterious thrust bushings between the trans crossmember and the chassis. no one ever loves those.

Yes, the mounts could be soft. But there wasn't a problem, at any rate not that problem, before I went into it.
Reluctant to change the mounts. I have a jaundiced view of repro rubber components, and as for NOS rubber after all these years, noooooo.

Ivor
Shopping Trolley
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2017 at 9:25am
If those mounts on the ends of the crossmember are bad they need to be replaced. They aren't absolutely necessary though, they were put there to reduce interior noise a bit. If the repro rubber ones scare you (I have them in mine, still good, but it's a six... hopped up 4.0L, so close to the same power as your 327... just a bit lighter), you can make a solid spacer. I doubt you would notice the difference. Only 63-66 cars have those.
Frank Swygert
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2017 at 3:12pm
Hoho.
Didn't even know those mounts were there before someone mentioned it.
Something else to worry about.
Car is stuck in the garage atm waiting for a new heater radiator, was supposed to be ready today but don't people just like to keep you waiting.

I'll add it to the list.
Who has good repros, and are they hard to fit?

Ivor
Shopping Trolley
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2017 at 6:10am
Galvin's has them. The other AMC vendors (Kennedy and APD) probably have them also. They are pretty easy to fit, just need to support the trans crossmember with a jack.

If the end of the crossmember is more or less centered in the safety "cage" around the end (a piece of U shaped metal with rubber mount inside -- keeps the CM from falling out if the rubber breaks) the mounts should be good. Chances are the CM is on or almost on the bottom edge of that U shaped piece (squared off U...).
Frank Swygert
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2017 at 4:42pm
Rode out today. Was still some clonking. Could be soft mounts.

If the CM mounts have sagged, that would stress the rubber trunnion, I presume.

Ivor
Shopping Trolley
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2017 at 10:13am
Wouldn't stress the trunnion, but will put more stress on the motor mounts. Changes the angle slightly, but shouldn't be an issue. Just allows the trans to move up and down a bit and one or both ends of the CM will "clonk" when you hit a bump or start off. The motor mounts in a torque tube cr are under a bit more stress than open drives since the rear axle is pushing on the mounts. That's why there are two small arms on the CM mounts with thin bushings in them, with bolts on the end that go to the body. Limits forward and back motion. There are no replacement bushings for those arms, but as stated, they are thin (and hard) and don't seem to wear out.
Frank Swygert
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2017 at 4:41pm
The problem vanished.

Then last week, while away on holiday, it returned.
Happened to be round the back of the car, heard that there was a misfire. Under the bonnet, saw the no 1 plug lead had come off.

When I changed the dizzie - Autolite out, Delco in - I seem to have moved the plug leads around one position, and the no 1 lead is tight.

Put it back on, with some adjustment, and the clonking and cheerleader waving went away.
It was caused by the uneven torque between the two banks with one cylinder out.

Says something about the smoothness of the engine that one can drive it on seven cylinders and not notice.
Or perhaps it says something about me.

Ivor
Shopping Trolley
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic