TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

73 Jav Axle position issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evinrude3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 73 Jav Axle position issue
    Posted: Apr/29/2017 at 6:20pm
Thanks in advance for any help.
Picked up a 73 Jav, (basket case) car in pieces. 
SO..in looking it over I noticed the rear wheels werent centered in the body. (no damage car looks clean and straight) 
After looking into in and pulling some measurements the entire rear end is shifted to the left by 1/2".
Its a model 20 rear end...looks to be original.
It has new springs and shackles. and previous owner installed moser one piece axles. Thought maybe they were different lengths, but pulled measurements and the axle flanges are equal distant from the axle tube flanges, so they both extend the same distance. Spring perches have not been moved and everything seems to be in place as it should, but just shifted over.

I'm now measuring the gap between the face of the axle flange and the upper wheel well edge, maybe this is not an accurate point, but also measured back in to frame horn and still see 1/2" difference from side to side.

So by chance is this normal on these cars? I would assume not but gotta ask. Hard to believe it was always like this?

Now..how to adjust it? move the spring perches?
There is no drivetrain in it...so cant tell what driveshaft alignment is.

Are there some points on the unibody I can use as reference to square some measurements to the rear end?
Or is it possible one of the tubes moved? Anyone have any measurements to check to see if they moved?

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2017 at 7:00pm
Hard telling without pictures... i would assume worn out bushings on the springs and lack of proper settling.

An empty Javelin body is light at the rear.

The tube shift would mean the axle must go with it or protrude out from the flange more than the other. Impossible to shift an axle that far in without it being too short to begin with.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2017 at 7:53pm
The axles are supposed to be different lengths. The differential pumpkin is not centered to the centerline of the car.  
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2017 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by Fluffy73 Fluffy73 wrote:

The axles are supposed to be different lengths. The differential pumpkin is not centered to the centerline of the car.  

Fluffy73, i read it as he was measuring how the tires are shifted to one side.

1/2 difference seems like a lot, but given worn out bushings and how the car sat on the springs... Once 1/4" is shifted to correct, that 1/2" difference will be nil.

Maybe he is talking about the center to axle end, but like I said, a picture helps.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2017 at 8:37pm
Do the wheels have the same offset? Measure from the flange to fender on both sides with the wheels off. I've seen identical looking wheels with different offsets.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
evinrude3 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evinrude3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2017 at 3:15pm
Thanks guys..I think 304 has a good point...this may not be an issue once the springs take a set and I load this up and drive it.
I would assume there is going to be some lateral play in the entire axle from side-to-side anyway.
As for the setup, the springs, shackles and bushings are all new so its tight. 

It just struck me odd as its a noticeable difference.

Ill let it be for now....

Just thought maybe someone had run into this before.

Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic