TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Amp Gauge and Temp Gauge Wiring - 71 Javelin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote td1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amp Gauge and Temp Gauge Wiring - 71 Javelin
    Posted: Apr/29/2017 at 9:49am
I'm wiring the amp gauge and temp gauge on a 71 javelin and need help. The amp gauge has two terminals on the back that don't connect to the electric grid on the back on the gauge box. What wires go to those terminals?

For the temp gauge, I've got power going to the top terminal through the electric grid. I traced the temp sending unit to a purple wire that looks like it's going to the second round wire from the bottom in the harness the connects to the back of the gauge box which looks like it connects to the bottom terminal of the temp gauge through the grid....but the gauge doesn't work. Do I need to ground the gauge somewhere on the back of the box to get it to work? I have the fuel and oil gauges working already so I didn't think I was missing a ground.

If it helps, I can send a pic of the back of the gauge box.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2017 at 10:34am
I do not have a 71 TSM but the 72 TSM shows the rally gauge wiring circuits on page 3-37 of the electrical section.   For the Ammeter, you should have a Splice into the fusable link connected between the red wire off of the same terminal of the starter relay that accept the +battery cable and the pink wire to the horn relay.  That spliced wire will be black and to the the + terminal of the ammeter.  The ammeter ground _  (neg) terminal has a red wire going to the BAT terminal of the alternator.  

The oil pressure gauge has a yellow wire from one side of the gauge going through terminal 1 of the instrument cluster pin terminal connector to the instrument panel light connector (presumably on the back of the instrument cluster). That terminal is also fed from the guages fuse terminal on the fuse block (yellow wire).  The other wire from the gauge (light blue) connects to terminal 4 on the printed circuit. 

Hope this makes sense.  Again this for for 1972.    
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2017 at 10:41am
I assume your connections are not with oem connectors and go pack wiring harness???

The the amp gauge is the only gauge that doesn't have connections directly from the overlay and wiring connections.

If using connectors from a non go pack wiring harness, there is no need to change pinouts to temp and fuel gauges. The oil gauge needs a new connection added to the inline connector to make it function. The ammeter needs its own go pack wiring harmess to measure current.

So adding a connection to a temp gauge throws me off on how to figure out what may effect other components to the indtrument panel. Additional wiring if em properly done could burn out the regulator and cause most all of the gauges to cease function.

I suggest obtaining a TSM for future refrence.

Just letting you know before throwing out an answer, even of it may sound so simple... now for the answer..
The top post is the feed to the temp sensor which makes the ground loop to the meter for measurment. The meter is powered by the bottom post which is fed by the instrument panel voltage regulator.

Edited by 304-dude - Apr/29/2017 at 11:03am
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
td1234 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote td1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2017 at 11:20am
Any idea what gauge wire should the black and red wires should be for the ammeter? Also, what kind of fuse should I use in the link to the starter relay?

I think the connections are oem. I'm not certain though because I'm not familiar with the wiring on it. Any ideas where I find a TSM?
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2017 at 11:35am
After seeing the damaged buzzer, i could only guess what is going on with your wiring. That is why i wondered how things are connected.

If you see a lot of splices and missing connectors, i would think about obtaining a new replacement set. There are specialty harness makers online.

You could put a want out for a good used wiring harness for your setup.

Put up a want ad or search ebay for a 71 TSM. I have 2... One is complete, and the other is missing Emissions section 6.

$35 shipped for the complete TSM, $20 shipped for the one missing emissions section 6.

Will only sell one for now.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2017 at 12:18pm
One thing I'll add to this just as a word of caution - if your alternator is larger than stock (amperage wise) don't hook that ammeter up or you can possibly burn it up. I've seen several cars over the years that had dash fires from large alternators burning up the ammeters. Most rebuilt over-the-counter alternators have the output increased by the re builder which is higher than the ammeters can handle so they get real hot and start melting things.

The worst one that I've seen was at the Mopar Nationals years ago. A freshly restored '69 Roadrunner was running on the guys trailer while he was untying it when the dash started smoking bad. It literally caught fire and several people with extinguishers managed to put it out after a quick thinking guy yanked the battery cable off of the battery and pulled the coil wire. What a nightmare it was because the car had white interior that was badly smoke damaged. His low battery and shiny, chrome, 130 amp Powermaster alternator were the bad guys. After it was was all said and done, the owner sat there and cried. After he got himself together, he took off for home - 3 states away. I'll never forget that one. It makes me Sick thinking of it again.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
td1234 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote td1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2017 at 10:22pm
Wow,I had no idea they could catch fire. Thanks for the heads up!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic