TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Which carbs+jets do you use?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which carbs+jets do you use?
    Posted: Apr/24/2017 at 10:17pm
I have the stock Autolite 2100 series 1.08"(287cfm?) venturi with tag 0DA2A that references nothing, but goes to my 1970-1971ish 304. Rebuilt it and reused the 48F jets. I'm wondering what all everyone runs and how it responds. The 48F jets seem a bit poor for this engine and when I swapped in a set of 54F jets I not only got a bit more power but now it will start without cracking the throttle open. I had to lean it out since it wants to do burnouts on gravel but cruising on the main drag with this is MONEY.

When I look at other carbs, there's some size variation like 1.21 with the Motorcraft carbs I have from various Ford pickups but the CFM rating looks way too high, or is it? The one reference I find for this carb size is a 1982 Ford Mustang GT 5.0L using 57F jets. The Holley XP is rated 500cfm and ships with 74(.081"?) jets. What is good for the street and what is good for racing? Embarrassed
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2017 at 10:47pm
47 or 48 were the stock jets on the 1.08" carburetor and normally work great. It's weird that yours wants more fuel. Perhaps the power valve is stuck shut or not getting vacuum.

55 or 56 were the stock jets on the 1.21" carburetor.

1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
Class Guy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Class Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2017 at 7:21am
Originally posted by DaemonForce DaemonForce wrote:

I have the stock Autolite 2100 series 1.08"(287cfm?) venturi with tag 0DA2A that references nothing, 

The one reference I find for this carb size is a 1982 Ford Mustang GT 5.0L using 57F jets.  

0DA2 is a 1970 AMC carb for a 304.

Where did you find the reference to the 82 Mustang 5.0 carb?
tsanchez View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2017 at 9:10am
I have noticed the 48 jets work well if you are at 3000ft or higher, at lower altitudes they def run better with .052 or more jet
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2017 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by Class Guy Class Guy wrote:

0DA2 is a 1970 AMC carb for a 304.

Where did you find the reference to the 82 Mustang 5.0 carb?

I'm going over points of data and cutting out poor flow redundancies for typical 5.0L V8s and the two that stand out are the Ford Mustang GT and Chevy Camaro Z/28, among few others. These are the ones that appear to push the most power and they're both optioned with carbs that have large jetting and cfm movement. Mine has less cfm but I wanted to see if larger jetting would make any difference and apparently it does. I wanted to avoid 4bbl in this search because then it becomes a circus trying to pin down relevant data. If I ever switch to a 4bbl setup on a 304, you know it's going to be a mess trying to meter this down correctly.
Originally posted by tsanchez tsanchez wrote:

I have noticed the 48 jets work well if you are at 3000ft or higher, at lower altitudes they def run better with .052 or more jet

Seems to check out since I'm @100ft or less. Not sure what this does to mileage but so far I don't see a problem.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic