TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

258 with two webers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2017 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by ramblin64sw ramblin64sw wrote:

I've been running a pair of smaller 32/34 Webers for a couple of years on my 232.

thats pretty nice!

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2017 at 8:10pm
hi, ramblin64, would there be by any chance a build thread on those two manifolds? Making these is beyond my personal capabilities, but....care to make another pair:) thanks. gz
george z
Kensey View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kensey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2017 at 9:41pm
"To keep it simple, I made two small intakes to bolt to the 4.0 head"

Man, your idea of simple is waaaaay different then mine. Fantastic work!!!
Gremmy Power!!!
ramblin64sw View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblin64sw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2017 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by amcfool1 amcfool1 wrote:

hi, ramblin64, would there be by any chance a build thread on those two manifolds? Making these is beyond my personal capabilities, but....care to make another pair:) thanks. gz

There is a build thread of sorts. Search for "4.0 crank in 232 block?". Not a whole lot of documentation. With a pair of young kid's car time is short, so I didn't take a lot of time to stop and snap picture's. When I started looking at those carbs, I had a fairly long conversation with Tom Langdon of Langdons Stovebolts.com, He seemed to think that the log manifold from the early 4.0l mpfi engines would make a great platform on which to build a dual carb manifold. While I would love to build more of these manifolds, I fear the cost would make the Clifford manifolds look like a bargain. If I ever need to update these, I will keep you in mind. 

Jon
amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2017 at 7:06pm
thank you sir. much appreciated, gz
george z
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2017 at 7:09am
Here's a link with a good pic of the manifold. LOTS of custom work!

http://theamcforum.com/forum/40-crank-in-232-block_topic55329_page4.html

You could get a pair of 4.0L early log intakes and cut/weld them into two three cylinder intakes, or the late 2V carb aluminum intakes. Would still be a lot of work. Not as much as making your own from scratch though. Cut and fit, then take to a welding shop with an old head so they can bolt it up and get everything aligned properly before welding.

A 500 cfm 4V is typically considered the max for a healthy 258 (better cam/intake/exhaust), with 400 cfm being better for a stock/near stock engine. 4V and 2V cfm are measured differently. Multiply 4V rating by 1.414 to get ~2V, so 500 cfm comes up to a 707 cfm 2V. So the ~800 cfm won't be bad, especially since they are two stage carbs and you're running under half that (smaller primaries) most of the time. The smaller ones might be better though. To convert 2V to 4V equivalent divide 2V rating by 1.414.

Edited by farna - May/03/2017 at 7:15am
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic