TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1966 american trany info

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DG Racing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1966 american trany info
    Posted: Apr/23/2017 at 8:33am
Hi i have a 1966 American with a 199 cu. and I know that I have a m36 for the trany and it a 3 speed but on my indicator it as 2D1 L how does that work ?

http://s881.photobucket.com/user/QNRA/media/20170423_091454.jpg. -
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2017 at 8:43am
Usually and indication of that nature indicates whether the vehicle starts off in 2nd or 1st gear depending on which sector is selected to function as drive.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
wallus View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2017 at 11:48am
I believe uncljohn is correct. It should start in second gear. I believe the theory was that starting in second gear if you were stuck in mud or snow would transfer less torque to the drive wheels and would therefore make it easier to control wheel spin. I never did try to find a mud pit or deep snow to test it though. Lol.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2017 at 12:12pm
Get the glove box manual (driver's manual) for your car.  I know it is easy to just ask a question on the forum and you will usually get good answers but the manual explains even things that you assume you know.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2017 at 4:22pm
My 66 American TSM explains it like Uncljohn said.

You put it in D2, it starts rolling in second, and upshifts to high depending on throttle pressure.
In D1,  it starts rolling in 1st (low) upshifts to 2nd, then high.
Put it in L from a standstill and it will start and stay in low (1st),  until you move the selector to either D1 or D2.

Put the selector in L while moving, and it will downshift to either 2nd, or if below about 20-25 ( depending on rear end ratio)  it will go into low.

That's the way my 66 American's automatic worked before I replaced it with the 4.0 and 5 speed.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
DG Racing View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DG Racing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2017 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by pacerman pacerman wrote:

Get the glove box manual (driver's manual) for your car.  I know it is easy to just ask a question on the forum and you will usually get good answers but the manual explains even things that you assume you know.  Joe

the big problem is that the car is more then 50 years so the manuel is not in the car . thanks
DG Racing View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DG Racing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2017 at 8:20pm
thanks everybody will try the car next week to find out if the trany work good , thanks
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2017 at 11:56pm
you can find owners manual (cute, not that useful) and technical service manual (fat, useful!!!) on ePay or elsewhere. worth every dime. will solve mysteries you dont know you have.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic