TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Torque Converter Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmahannah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Torque Converter Question
    Posted: Apr/09/2017 at 6:10am
I am replacing the torque converter on my 74 Javelin with a 304/904 with a stock aftermarket one. I have never done this before. I noticed that the old one had a drain plug but the new one does not. My question is do I have to somehow pre-fill the converter with tranny fluid or does the tranny pump it full through the hole in the transmission shaft?

Also, is there anywhere I can get pre-formed transmission cooler lines for the 904 transmission? Mine had been cut and spliced and leak and I want to replace them. Bought a set from inline tube and they are for a 727 and the ends for the transmission side are very different from the ones from the 904. I don't want to have to cut, bend, and flare if I don't have to.

Or is there a flexible type line that will work?

Thanks for any info you can provide
Forrest
74 Javelin AKA Ghost
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2017 at 6:36am
you can fill the convertor thru the shaft one or two qt is fine make sure you replace the tran seal a few dollars will save you the head ache later so you don't have to pull the trans when its leaking
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
fmahannah View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmahannah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2017 at 7:11am
So I have to pre-fill the converter or will the tranny fill it once the engine is running?

I ask only because like an idiot I already have he tranny attached to the motor and ready to go in. Converter I bought had no labels or instructions saying to add any fluid, and no drain plug either.

Thanks

Edited by fmahannah - Apr/09/2017 at 8:23am
74 Javelin AKA Ghost
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2017 at 8:50am
I always make sure a converter has fluid in it. Helps push fluid back into the system quicker. As fluid goes to the converter and then to lubrication. If the converter is dry, no pressure will build until the converter is filled.

It don't matter about the drain plug. Not all converters had them. And if serviced, you can drain back out from the snout. Or have one added when rebuilt. Mine has a wee one added, which really does not function once the flexplate is installed.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2017 at 9:21am
the pump will fill the converter.  put it in neutral, and check it in neutral. (Put about 3-4 quarts in before you start it, then put in a few more quarts 3-maybe 4 and check it.  if the old converter has a drain plug, means it was probably rebuilt.   Ive started them with empty converters. many many times.
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2017 at 10:12am
Originally posted by purple72Gremlin purple72Gremlin wrote:

the pump will fill the converter.  put it in neutral, and check it in neutral. (Put about 3-4 quarts in before you start it, then put in a few more quarts 3-maybe 4 and check it.  if the old converter has a drain plug, means it was probably rebuilt.   Ive started them with empty converters. many many times.

X2!

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
fmahannah View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmahannah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2017 at 10:51am
Thanks guys, we went ahead and pulled it back apart and put fluid in the converter. Found mfg specs online and they said at least 6-8 ounces.

What about a source for either prebent 904 oil cooler lines or a braided line kit that will work for the 904?
74 Javelin AKA Ghost
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic