TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Trading Post: Sale, wanted, vendors,shipping > Product Announcements
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 68-70 AMX/Jav/SCR & 72 V-8 Gremlin Torque Links
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

68-70 AMX/Jav/SCR & 72 V-8 Gremlin Torque Links

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 68-70 AMX/Jav/SCR & 72 V-8 Gremlin Torque Links
    Posted: Apr/01/2017 at 7:08am
Good day folks, 

I was asked last week why I had not had my torque link rebuild service in this section of The AMC Forum.  This are factory installed on all 68-70 AMX, 69 SC/Ramblers and 72 V-8 Gremlins, plus dealer installed on Javelin.   I have done hundreds and hundreds of these over the last 30 years for all models.  The poly bushings do NOTHING but keep the bushing from making noise as the rear axle torques back and forth.  The factory torque links are important part of the handling and traction control of these great cars.  When installed, per the TSM, they actually preload the suspension and help create the stance and Center Line Balance of the car.

Just to give you some back round...the torque link was design by AMC, however made by Monroe Auto Shock.  Since they have been out of production so long, back in the 1980's I contacted Monroe and a mutual car lover pulled the original drawings for the inner steel sleeve and rubber bushing.  They still had the tooling and made me a "run" of the rubber parts, but they found that the mold was so old and had not been preserved well that only 20 cavities of the 100 cavity mold produced good parts.  Monroe said the mold was their property and they would not run any further parts but since obsolete parts were involved they offered to send me the 20 good parts and share the drawings of those parts and the assembly process into the link.  I took them up on the offer and had my own mold made, then the sleeves made.  I have the rubber parts made in small runs to make sure the rubber is "fresh" and then built a much simpler assembly tooling...since their operation was for mass production.

Last winter I made another run of rubber parts, so fresh rubber bushings are in-stock and ready to help who ever needs these links rebuilt correctly.  I have been asked many times to sell the parts, well that will not work for there is no way to install the inner sleeve once the rubber is installed in the link, without much special tooling and technics I have developed.

Just to summarize of the service I offer:
-You send in your torque links.....no brackets or hardware.
-Your links are disassembled, rubber bushings and steel sleeves removed.
-Your links are glass beaded white clean, it is common to find heavy corrosion under the rubber bushing.
-New rubber bushings and sleeves are installed (4 ends).
-Your links are primed to prevent flash rusting during return shipping.
-Cost of shipping completed bars is included in the price (in Cont US)

Current cost is $79.95 including return shipping to you in Continental US..if out of Cont US just ask for adjusted price.  I never charge extra on shipping, just actual costs.  I can pick up or deliver to most National AMC Shows and save you a few $$$.  Normal turn time is 1-2 weeks from time of receipt.....most of the time faster, but at times I travel extensively for my full time job and that delays my machine shop time.

Thank you.

Ross Peterson

Edited by 401MATCOUPE - Apr/01/2017 at 8:05am
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
Ram Air Rick View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ram Air Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2017 at 7:56am
I can attest to the quality and reliability of Ross's service.

Ross did a set for me two years ago. They came back looking like the bushings were factory installed. The turn around time was fantastic.

Highly recommend Ross's service.

As always, you'll be happy and pleasantly surprised at how good his service is. 

True gem in the AM Hobby !

Rich C.
Ohio AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2017 at 8:10am
I will be sending at least one set shortly.
1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1968 Javelin future Pro Street
1969 AMX 290/auto (first car)
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983
green70AMX View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green70AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2017 at 3:56pm
Received my torque links yesterday, what a great job Ross did on them and the turn around time was very quick. Would recommend Ross to anyone who needs their torque link bushings restored. Great job

green70AMX
itsarandall View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itsarandall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2017 at 8:22pm
Do you have any Gremlin torque links for  sale. Mine are missing. Unfortunately morons from back in the day (myself included) removed them, tossed them, and put traction bars on. 
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2017 at 4:39am
Sorry I don't have any Gremlin Torque Links for sale, however there are some around.  Put an Ad in the Wanted Section on here and that is your best chance.  If they need rebuilt, no problem, I can help.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
typhooner View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote typhooner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2017 at 8:27am
Ross, are you saying you remove the steel bushings from the old torque link and re-use them in the new rubber? Or do you use new bushings? Some of my torque links the rubbers have been removed is why i'm asking.
1969 Hurst SC/Rambler A Scheme
1969 Rebel Raider Electric Green    1962 IH/AMC SC/out
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2017 at 1:21pm
All new parts, only the bar core is re-used.....only time the bar is not any good is if they are worn very hard from bushing being gone or obvious visual cracks....I have seen both!
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic