TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Disc Brake Conv. 1960 Rambler

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elmusso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Disc Brake Conv. 1960 Rambler
    Posted: Mar/31/2017 at 4:01pm
I have a 1960 Rambler.  I pulled the front brakes off of a Gremlin, 76 i believe.  After reading a thread that was told ALL AMC will work together, I am trying to figure it out.  I am not the most mechanically inclined, but I am also not without any knowledge on it, I dont know what I am missing in trying to get these brakes to go on without rubbing on the tie rod or the dust shield hitting it .  Seems every angle I try doesnt work.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2017 at 10:06am
First, mount the brakes with the caliper to the rear. The brackets will swap side to side, just make sure the bleeder is up. The dust shields won't work without modification. Either leave them off or cut to clear the steering rods. The steering rods are in a rather peculiar place on the 58-63 Americans -- has to be due to the short wheel base and front steering. I put 80 Concord discs on my 63 American -- same front suspension design as your 60.

The only issue with the pre 79 AMC disc brakes is the cost of new rotors. Hard to find too -- usually have to go with an AMC vendor (Kennedy, Galvin's, or APD) to get them, and then they are $100+ each. 71-76 are Kelsey-Hayes IIRC... they mount on pins similar to GM brakes. You would be better off to find 79-83 brakes, or use the Scarebird kit for AMC -- it will fit all AMCs.
Frank Swygert
elmusso View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elmusso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2017 at 9:56am
Thanks for the info Farna, I did find Raybestos rotors on rockauto.com for $55 each
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic