TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

60 American flexplate

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RonFrancis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 60 American flexplate
    Posted: Mar/28/2017 at 8:13am
I have a minor vibration when I put it in  gear backing out of the diveway.  I am suspect of the flexplate since it was original but OK when installed.  I have had a coule accidents where someone driving put it in the wrong gear going the wrong direction while moving the car with a jolt to the system. Who decided reverse should be at the bottom anyway.  Since that flex plate is the weak link I think I should be ready to change it.  The car runs find at speed.

Does anyone have a reproduction which I assume might be a little heavierr than stock or an old one I can copy before taking the trans out?  I'll make a couple extras if the price is right.

THanksBig smile
Ron

Ron Francis
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2017 at 6:29am
Galvin's has one. It's really just a flat piece of hardened steel drilled for the bolt holes. I had one made from a piece of 1/16" (or close to it) aircraft grade stainless steel (okay, I was on an AF base where they rebuilt planes... guy in the machine shop made it). The stainless is tougher than steel. The factory plate is a hardened steel, that's why it eventually cracks. Modern steel will be more resilient, won't need ot be hardened, just a good grade. Some of the repro plates just use a doubled steel instead of stainless or hardened.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic