TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Oil supply during priming

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2017 at 1:32pm
I don't know if AMC put sealant on the threads from the factory. The manual specifies on the torque spec page in the engine section that "All torque specs are for dry fits unless otherwise specified" and nowhere in the manual does it say to oil the head bolt threads or apply sealant.

I usually put Rectorseal #5 on the head bolt threads...all of them. That way they're equal. That stuff will seal any through-holes and provide a little lubrication. I haven't blown a head gasket yet.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
Moffman View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moffman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2017 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

I don't know if AMC put sealant on the threads from the factory. The manual specifies on the torque spec page in the engine section that "All torque specs are for dry fits unless otherwise specified" and nowhere in the manual does it say to oil the head bolt threads or apply sealant.

I usually put Rectorseal #5 on the head bolt threads...all of them. That way they're equal. That stuff will seal any through-holes and provide a little lubrication. I haven't blown a head gasket yet.

Yeah that's what I noticed too. Thanks I'll probably try something like that if it gets worse. Atleast it's not coolant.
69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2017 at 9:01pm
AMC used lubricant on the threads from the factory. It was a sulfur bearing EP lube. Every engine I have taken apart, (100s), Have had lubricant on the head bolt threads. Regardless of what the manual says, they used lube. If you don't believe me, take a virgin engine apart and smell the bolt threads. There will be lube and a sulfur smell. All the torques listed in the engine section are dry except the head, rod and main. Those should use 30wt oil.
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2017 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by Moffman Moffman wrote:

Not too worried about it, just thought it was odd why that specific rocker was getting so much oil. Anyway while I got a thread up I also noticed oil weepage under the head of one head bolt. The others are all dry and I double checked the torque on him and he was good at 100 ft-lbs. 

Definitely not tearing it back down for that little guy, hasn't fired yet like I said only oil pressure is by drill. Maybe it'll seal after running, if not I could try some sealer on the bolt. Kinda bizarre as I thought the holes were blind. Ah the joys of rebuilding.

They're arp bolts, and the lubricant that came with them was used.

You sure there isn't a crack at the leading edge of that machined corner? They will weep coolant there if there's a crack.

Also I tried a set of ARP bolts but they got in the way of the exhaust manifolds.

How'd you get around that problem?

-Steve-
Moffman View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moffman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2017 at 11:59pm
Originally posted by Rebel Machine Rebel Machine wrote:

You sure there isn't a crack at the leading edge of that machined corner? They will weep coolant there if there's a crack.

Also I tried a set of ARP bolts but they got in the way of the exhaust manifolds.

How'd you get around that problem?

-Steve-

Didn't see any cracks but I'll double check, no signs of coolant yet unless it's internal and if that's the case I may toss the engine on the curb for bulk day pickup.

How'd I get around it? Well simple, I haven't test fit the headers yet lol.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic