TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rebel front coil springs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richy246 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rebel front coil springs
    Posted: Mar/25/2017 at 9:31am
I have a 1967 rambler rebel 232 sst convertible and today I managed to snap a front coil spring! Being in the UK I am finding it difficult to buy a pair of new ones.Can anyone suggest any alternatives or part numbers etc.
401harry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2017 at 4:35pm
Probably should replace both...lots of vendors out there...Not sure about shipping to UK though
richy246 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richy246 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2017 at 10:24am
Any body know what size springs I should be looking for?
garweb3 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garweb3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2017 at 11:39am
Check with American Parts Depot.
1974 Javelin AMX
1980 Spirit AMX
1987 Jeep Comanche Sportruck
Bruce Clarkson View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce Clarkson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2017 at 1:33pm
I had a pair made for my 67 Ambassador by Coil Spring Specialties. They worked with TSM data and what I wanted and got me a good result at a reasonable price.

Bruce Clarkson
Bruce Clarkson
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2017 at 7:07am
I always use Coil Spring Specialties (www.coilsprings.com). I have found that a 12% stiffer spring is a great compromise for ride vs. handling on the early 60s cars. Have 10% stiffer in my 63 Classic now, and it's a good way to go, but the 2% more I think I'd like more (used 12% in a 63 American and it was perfect -- IMHO). FYI, most of the factory HD springs were 20% over standard (or close to it) and ride rather harshly.

CSS makes springs to order, so it takes 3-4 weeks (probably a bit more for the UK), but can alter to your specs easily.
Frank Swygert
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2017 at 3:58am
I am in contact with Jones Springs in Darleston
http://www.jones-springs.co.uk/
who can make coils and are happy to quote for pairs.

They can work from the TSM data, or a good pattern.

Give them a try.

I am surprised that none of the AMC vendors has had springs made for our cars, especially in the US where costs are low.

Ivor
63 Canadian Ambo 990 V8 327
Lightweight V8 SIII
Shopping Trolley
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic