TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Headlight / Wiper Switches

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2017 at 6:43am
The metal grounding strap onthe back of the Instrument Panel on 70 Javelin/AMX is not even copper....just put a dash in this past weekend.  It is steel, it is supposed to be attached to the Panel assembly by 2 small plastic pins in the dash casting and then small push clips held it in place during the assembly process.  On 70 this strap continues down to pick up the top, outboard most attachment screw on the "Weather Eye"...Heater-A/C Control Panel.  This method of jumping from headlight switch to wiper to heater control is the reason it is there on every car, regardless of the type of wiper system (electric or vacuum).   If you jam your head under the under the Instrument Panel outboard of the Steering Column you should be able to see the metal plate from the corner of the Heater Control.  I totally agree with George on the other aspects he is describing, the black wire on back of headlight switch is just a ground...nothing more, and originates from the main harness.  The brown wire for power to the Wiper Switch also comes from main harness.  The single black wire for washer pump is just that a single wire from pump to switch, with it's own grommet in the firewall corner plate.  

As far as you outside markers or other lights not working or flashing correctly.  The most common issue with side markers is the socket for the 194 bulb and the two prong connector to the main harness that is about a foot from the light.  They are highly susceptible to corrosion and poor contacts....pull each one apart and clean then....they do not need to be installed in housing to test, the t/s housing plastic.   If your car is an early 70, where is has 2 wire front turn signal housings, it MUST have ground jumpers that run from the housing studs to the front header panel (steel)...to provide grounds for those grille marker/turn signal lights...this is ONLY on AMX, Javelin is mounted to steel bumper and is grounded by bumper.  Later 70's had 3 wire housing, which also changed the main wiring harness....these have the ground internal to the housing.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2017 at 8:09am
May need to clarify that it is the front right turn signal light that does not work when the headlights are on. It works when the headlights are not on. Both rear blinkers and the left side front work fine. I also note that the right front is a lot brighter than the left, whether functioning as a blinker or just as a marker when the headlights are on.
Both of the front turn lights use the orange 1157 bulbs and the are each grounded individually. I've checked and cleaned the grounds.
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2017 at 7:36pm
I am going to try and update on these issues as I still need some help with them. For simplicity sake I will only update on the wiper problem here. I will start a new thread for the blinker / headlight issue which has become more critical to me.

First let me start by saying that this is my first AMC so please don't assume I know anything about them. I have checked the backside of the dash where the switches mount and there is no sign of any common ground strip. Nothing I can see to indicate there ever was one there. Here is a picture of the dash in that location. Does this appear correct?

This is also a picture of the wiper switch which I have come to believe is not OEM and not correct for the car? It has 7 terminals instead of 6 and they are laid out differently than the TSM book shows.

As noted above I got the wipers working by reattaching the black ground wire that had come off but the switch only works on slow speed and does not park when turned off. Tracing wires I found that I really only have a red, black and brown wire to the switch. I thought I was just missing the yellow wire (which I still cant find) but I also found that the blue wire is cut and open in the engine bay so no blue or yellow. I think at this point rather than to tear the main harness apart looking for or running two new blue / yellow wires I may just settle for slow speed only with no park...
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2017 at 8:10pm
First, the lack of a screw in the open hole between the two switches in your first pic tells me someone has removed the green covered backround lights that illuminate the two plastic identification labels that are attached to the overlay.  So someone has been deep in the dash, I don't see the edges of the steel ground strip.......BUT that leads to you second picture, that is NOT the proper switch, the correct switch is much bigger around and has a different pin layout and is out of a 74 up AMC with a Motorcraft wiper set up.  I can see now why you are having issues, it looks like someone has put a bunch of parts together with no regard to working, just appearing complete.  Shoot/post a side view on the switch and look for a P/N on the diecast housing, I can tell you what it is from.  While you are at it post pic of your wiper motor, so we can see what type you have.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2017 at 8:54pm
A note about the "black" wires. The black washer pump wire should have no bearing on the operation of the wiper motor and is NOT part of the main wiring harness. The black ground wire that connects to the tab on the headlight switch IS part of the main harness.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
rodhhrod View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodhhrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2017 at 9:30am
Do you have electric wipers or vacuum setup. I have seen both in 70, show a pic of the wiper motor in the engine bay. 
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2017 at 11:17am
The wipers are electric. Here is a pic of the motor. I exposed the  wires to show all four coming out of the motor. They go into that pigtail and then disappear into the main harness. On the other end of the main harness a bundle emerges with just the black, red and blue wires that goes through the firewall to the switch. As I noted earlier the blue wire is also disconnected at the harness so effectively just the red and black go to the switch. I suppose if I had the correct switch or knew how this one was set up, I could run two new wires from the blue and yellow at the motor up to the switch and have full function.

401Matcoupe, if you happen to recognize this switch and know how its supposed to be wired let me know. The number on it is very difficult to read but looks like 36512 and to the right of it is 12DB. You are also correct that the illuminating lamp is gone! I am guessing that these plugged into that three prong female plug the my heater lamp is plugged into?

Edited by Bandana - Apr/02/2017 at 11:43am
rodhhrod View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodhhrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2017 at 11:41am
A front view of the wiper motor would be nice to see.
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2017 at 12:39pm
I have this one Rod,

rodhhrod View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodhhrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2017 at 2:29pm
pm sent
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic