TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

69 AMX w/408ci LS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snakeeyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 69 AMX w/408ci LS
    Posted: Mar/21/2017 at 7:30pm
Figured I would start a thread to show my progress on this LS conversion project. 

Picked up a used 6.0L truck block and 4l80e. 

Originally, was just planning to put the engine in the amx with the only modifications being new ls3 heads and a cam, but when I saw the dished pistons I knew the engine was the wrong one. Someone switched the LQ9 high compression and better rod engine out of the Cadillac at some point. With how good the bearings look for a ~100k high mileage motor I think the Cadillac got a reman 6.0L at some point. 

For the cost of replacing the rods and pistons I can spend a little more and just get a full rotating assembly. Planing on boring the block to 4.030 and adding a 4" stroker crank. 

Had to get creative to drain the oil out.

snakeeyes View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snakeeyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2017 at 3:46pm
Have moved the car to my garage from a friends pole barn and started work taking out gas tank and rear end. I will be converting the gas tank to a pump on a stick to support the 58lbs of pressure needed for the LS. Previous owner had 4 linked and coilover the rear with a Ford 9" rear end. Had to remove the whole rear end to get enough room to pull the tank. It seems they put in the upper shock mount in with the shocks hanging off the mount, then bolted and welded it in, because the bolts are to long to come out of the upper shock mount without hitting the body.

Took rear end apart but ring gear does not seem to have the ratio on it unless I am missing something.

Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2017 at 4:00pm
Does that 37  9 mean it's  a 4.11?
snakeeyes View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snakeeyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2017 at 4:05pm
Now that you said that I looked up 37:9 and 37-9. It does come up with ford 9" 4.11.

Thanks Sonic

Edited by snakeeyes - Jul/23/2017 at 4:08pm
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2017 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by snakeeyes snakeeyes wrote:

Now that you said that I looked up 37:9 and 37-9. It does come up with ford 9" 4.11.

Thanks Sonic
Any time.
XRX744 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XRX744 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2017 at 10:49pm
Any updates?
69 AMX, pro touring /track car, TEAM tribute, aka: "The Kenosha Corncob"
raysinvegas View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote raysinvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2017 at 12:58am
This belongs in Frankenrambler.
Andy Ray
64 440H
64 440 Convertible
68 Javelin SST 343
69 Javelin SST 343
69 SC/Rambler
gremlinsteve View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlinsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2017 at 6:12pm
Interesting build
In for updates
1792 MAT. View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1792 MAT. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2017 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by raysinvegas raysinvegas wrote:

This belongs in Frankenrambler.

x2
American Motors means MORE for Americans
brownspirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2017 at 8:41pm
Should be a fun car, do you have any pictures of the 4-link set-up? Andy
69' BBB AMX 390/4-speed

69' s/crambler project

69’ International F210d Cummins/5+4
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic