TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Amc Valve Locks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Y.Lachapelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amc Valve Locks
    Posted: Mar/21/2017 at 12:00pm
Hi! I'm new to the forum and I'm doing my first engine rebuild! I have an AMC 360 (88 I believe) I bought a CompCam Kit (Cam, Lifters, Springs, Retainers, Locks, Seals and Timing Chain) The kit came with 1 groove Locks and my valves are 4 groove, Thats not news to me as I have read this on the forum before so I ordered a set of 7degree 4 groove locks to match my 7degree retainers and 0.372" Stems. Everything is new including the valves but the lock halves touch to together witch is weird because the specs says there are for 0.372 valve stems.. even the old set of valves/locks/retainers touched but I thought is was bad installation from the previous rebuilder.. I'd like to have your guys's thought on this! much appreciated!

Comp Cam kit k10-201-4
Comp Retainers 744-16
Comp Locks 604-16
Sealed Power intake and exhaust valves SLP-V-1979 and SLP-V-2024

I will post photos as soon as the photos upload to photobucket

Thanks!

Y.Lachapelle View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Y.Lachapelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2017 at 12:11pm
http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae58/lachapcj7/IMG_2815_zpscfvjsymh.jpg
http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae58/lachapcj7/IMG_2817_zpshsha4osv.jpg
http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae58/lachapcj7/IMG_2818_zpsqkoisjoq.jpg
http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae58/lachapcj7/IMG_2819_zps70u5muru.jpg

one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2017 at 3:40pm
Welcome to the forum!!!!  What brand are those valves? They are machined at the top and that`s why the keepers are touching....Measure the upper part of the stem and see what the diameter is 
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Y.Lachapelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2017 at 3:46pm
They are sealed power, just mesured the stem at the grooves mesure exactly 0.372, i call comp and the customer service rep seem to say its normal for amc/chrysler engines, i would prefered an experienced amc guy to tell me so though
401jim View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2017 at 4:00pm
If you put the keepers on the valve and BOTH sides touch , this is a definite NO NO. They can touch one side and not the other. they will not lock into the retainer and be loose. Hope this helps you out. Jim   P. S. you must check keepers against the retainer not just the valve..
tsanchez View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2017 at 4:35pm
They are supposed to, it allows the valve to rotate, if you dont want that you can buy new valves that are single groove, do not try and grind the gap away it will lower the keepers into the retainer and may fail.

Edited by tsanchez - Mar/21/2017 at 4:40pm
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Y.Lachapelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2017 at 6:04pm
Thanks for the input! I've read somewhere else that the single groves are not suppose to touch and is meant to wedge the valve stem, as for the 4 groove are suppose to let the valve rotate and the 4 grooves is to prevent it from loosing the valve. I hope this information is accurate because I'm putting them in as is!
one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2017 at 7:38pm
I will get slack for this but i`m not a fan of Comp`s products and i`ve found there supports line to be worthless...the keepers need to be tight to the valve with a gap so when there in the retainers there held tight to the valve or they will beat the valve groove..I know guy`s that build all out Air Cooled VW engines grind there keeps for a correct fit..
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2017 at 5:30am
Originally posted by one bad rambler one bad rambler wrote:

I will get slack for this but i`m not a fan of Comp`s products and i`ve found there supports line to be worthless....

X2
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2017 at 7:57am
This is less of a concern because the 'big fat 3/8" stem'. (this could also be low concern because thermal expansion rates are such where on a 3/8 stem the expansion is correct, but maybe not on a smaller diameter stem?)

*main concern is making sure one uses hardened locks SP VK 174R (interchanges with Comp 'Mopar 4G Street Locks')

*don't use SP VK 174 -non hardened

...some sellers don't know the difference

-take heart; it gets worse with motorcycle stuff -no specs, just make and model, basically only rough guess info

When it comes time to go with smaller stems for increased rpm application, since the diameter of the valve stem is smaller, the tolerances become more critical (less fit room allowed by reduced valve stem diameter)

see http://www.xceldyne.com/structure/Catalogs/Xceldyne2006MasterCatalog.pdf

...when things start getting really serious, companies like Xceldyne begin measuring microns in a thermostatically controlled metrology room
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic