TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Cleaning adhesive off blower housing?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linglingjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cleaning adhesive off blower housing?
    Posted: Mar/20/2017 at 12:34am
I'm wondering if anyone has any secrets to getting that foam adhesive residue off of the blower housing in the engine compartment.  It originally had foam glued to the face and sides to it, but the dmt rebuild kit doesn't include any.  

Has anyone had success in removing the nasty yellowish stuff that gets left behind? I've tried several types of 3M adhesive remover, goof off etc, and nothing has worked in removing it.   Or should I just try to locate 1/4 thick foam stock and cut out my own as pictured?

hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2017 at 4:36am
You may need to apply the adhesive cleaner and let it soak. Apply to a rag and press the rag up against the housing. In some cases, I have been forced to sand the adhesive off and refinish.

Your second option is mostly likely easier. Depending on your level of looking OEM, you can find some foam and cut it to size and install or buy the pre-made foam from one of the AMC vendors. American Parts depot has them listed on their website.
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

javelinman74 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javelinman74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2017 at 4:03pm
WD 40 works too removing adhesive...
www.a70sthingautomobilia.com
It Used To Be an AMC Thing...
     No One Understands!
1982 Eagle SX/4
Daily Drivers since 1995!
401harry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2017 at 5:14pm
3m adhesive remover is the best for this situation (Walmart)...Xylene is the absolute best adhesive remover but have to be careful on plastics and other sensitive finishes
gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2017 at 7:39pm
I used lacquer thinner.
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2017 at 9:09am
I media blasted the thing to remove adhesive residue. But I would sure think that as stated above, lacquer thinner or Acetone ought to do the job, Remember both are harmful to Humans. Wear chemical proof gloves. Use in a well ventilated area. Both are highly flammable as well.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic