TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

NEW AMC BODY PANELS methods of payment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote therebelmachineguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NEW AMC BODY PANELS methods of payment
    Posted: Mar/16/2017 at 11:16am
My experience with Paypal has never been one where I admired their service. I detest it.

The easiest way to pay for parts from anyone is to do what is called an E-Transfer. That is a process by which you e-mail your payment from your bank account to my escrow account or whoever else you are dealing with. It takes a few seconds once you get the hang of it and there are no service charges and no delays. Instant payment, no rubber cheques, no fees and no holds on your account.

The problem is that many banks in the US are privately owned and are technologically antiquated so they don't have e-mail believe it or not. All Canadian banks have this service.

Wire transfers work but the service providers for those services believe each and every time you wire money it's a god-given licence for you to contribute to their retirement fund. So they are prohibitively expensive and I only recommend them when all else fails. 

Here's what happened recently with Paypal:

I re-opened my Paypal account that I haven't used for years. My customer paid me for parts I told him would be made in a week and shipped promptly there after. The money is in the account. Wait. No it isn't. Paypal held it pending my shipping the parts I need the money to build with. The hold is for 3 weeks. Two weeks after I expected to be done. 

If I wait for the hold to clear, by then other projects will have proceeded first and now the project that should have been completed will not be started for six weeks and shipped after that. 

At no time before I opened that account did Paypal indicate they would withhold funds. 

So I called Paypal customer service. Every Paypal number I could find in Canada and the US. 

In each case, when the telephone robot finds out I need a live agent, it disconnects. 

Luckily there is a physical address in Toronto that is only 100 miles away. They will be getting a personal visit from me nest Tuesday.

Of course the customer always comes first so I will be funding this project out of personal funds. Not fun when you are a business start up. 

So Paypal is going to get some free advertising from me and they won't like it.
Manufacturing the only authentic Rebel Machine Stripe Kit since 1996 and now manufacturing new sheetmetal panels for AMC Automobiles
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2017 at 3:54pm
When you first open a Paypal account, they do hold the funds for 20-30 days, then they allow you to withdraw them. After a month or two of being a trouble free customer, with no chargebacks, they allow you to withdraw the funds as soon as you get them.

Paypal doesn't want to have someone open an account, "sell" a bunch of stuff, withdraw the money immediately, then never ship anything. Then close the account & disappear. Paypal would then be on the hook for the $$$.

Paypal knows this is a problem for some people. They have sent me surveys asking my opinion on it. It does not affect me as I have been using Paypal for 15 years without any chargebacks or issues. I also don't sell anything I don't already have in hand & ready to ship. I never need to get money from a customer so I can get the product I sold them. So even if they held my $$ up a little it wouldn't be a big hassle for me.

Depending on the credit card company & bank you use, a business account can have to wait 30 days to get their money, all the time, no matter how much volume they do. American Express is the worst for this. Makes Paypal look like saints.

Run some transactions thru your Paypal account, don't engage in dealings that cause chargebacks, & you'll be able to withdraw the $$ from your account quickly in no time. 

junk yard dog View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junk yard dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2017 at 4:47pm
I am dealing with a seller right now that had to reopen his account at paypal and i bought a intake from him over 60 days ago. It was to be shipped within the first week. But i keep hearing stories and have never received the item and that seller doesn't respond to my calls or emails including threw paypal . So i filed a claim to get my money back. I would rather had the intake but am left with no choice. I would bet the seller has removed the money from his account and is off and running. I think paypal will be taking the money out of there own pocket to give me my money back. That is what i pay paypal for and love what they do and think the 3% is a fair fee to do what they do. Try doing business with out them. About 99 % of my eBay sales are paid threw paypal and i pay the fee and count it up as the cost of doing business. E bay limits your sales to $1000.00 per month when you start and increases the amount as you show you can handle the business. One of my accounts i can now sell up to $462000.00 on now because i have did a good job. Sell some stuff and do a good job for a couple months they ask for the hold to be removed. Dog
69 sc rambler              
69 bbg javelin 390 mod pack    
68 javelin custom
68 amx 343 4 sale
76 hornet
1963 1/2 mercury super maraude
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2017 at 6:48pm
I will always bad-mouth PayPal and Lexus. Had very bad experiences with both and in spite what their Customer Service tells you; they always side with the party that's paying them the money.
Mike
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2017 at 6:58pm
I have a lot of old GM junk ('50's/'60's) that Ebay would be the perfect place to sell off.  I have always held off because I thought you had to have a PP account to list.  I was going through the exceptions last week and unless I am misreading something, vintage auto parts are exempt from the PP requirement.  When I get some time I'm going to try it and see what happens.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
69BBB3904spAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69BBB3904spAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2017 at 7:00pm
Shocked I do not use paypal.

In the USA you can cash Canadian Postal Money Orders at a US Post Office, so I bet you can cash US Postal Money Orders at a Canadian Post Office. You cash the PMO, then ship the parts.
37 Ford Tudor 60 hp V8 flathead, all original, never restored
69BBB3904spAMX
70 Camaro 1st car
74 Hornet Hatch 6 cyl floor/auto
2007,2008,2009 PT Cruisers
Aluminum Deck Car Trailer
therebelmachineguy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote therebelmachineguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2017 at 8:46pm
Scott, and all the rest of you who have responded to this thread

Thanks for your reply but I know all of that. The fact remains that Paypal did not inform me of the hold at the outset before or during the signup process that lasted 3 full days with participation from a live agent. Even then Paypal has yet to demonstrate they can deposit money into my account. First they blamed my bank then they accepted the blame. All this took another day and it's far from over. 

The bungling is staggering. The TOTAL LACK of customer support is inexcusable in this day and age.

Keep in mind that I am selling parts with large dollar values and as such unless I get paid in advance, the project does not get built. This customer wants his parts in as close to a week as I can manage. I've promised him he'll have them. But somehow I have to be paid first. So I'm going directly to Paypal head office with my sleeping bag, food and water. I'm pretty bent out of shape and I'm going to post this story everywhere on the net I can think of. 

This is not a case of Paypal siding with a seller. It's a case of monumental incompetence, arrogance and stupidity on Paypal's part.

Before involving electronic means to transfer money, I was asking my customers to pay by US International Postal Money Orders. That worked fine except of the minimum of three weed delays. 

Then along came Paypal and that looked like manna from heaven. Except that it's never been anything but pure heck for me.

Then came E-Transfer - pure heaven in the world of conveying money from place to place. Except that so many US banks are still stuck in 1995. They don't have E-mail. Imagine that!

Last summer I worked with one customer all summer to make E-transfers work between Wisconsin and Canada. I can't even remember if it worked now or not there were so many attempts. 

The next customer used E-Transfer in Pennsylvania I think it was and it worked in seconds flat.

Trump is kicking a lot of rump right now. I hope he kicks a few banks into the present. 

Manufacturing the only authentic Rebel Machine Stripe Kit since 1996 and now manufacturing new sheetmetal panels for AMC Automobiles
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic