TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC 360 choke power question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mopar440cu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2017 at 8:17am
Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

Originally posted by mopar440cu mopar440cu wrote:

I have a Delco Sl series alternator with a two pin connector and a stud.

Thanks for the help!
I was afraid of that. That 10SI alternator would need to have a wire soldered inside it for the choke. I could tell you how to do it, but it requires alternator disassembly and that might be a bit risky if you're not used to working on automotive electrical systems.

Using the ignition feed with an oil pressure switch is easier in your case.

Your car probably uses a resistor wire between the ignition switch and the ignition coil, so you'll need to run a wire directly off the "run" side of the ignition switch to get full 12v battery voltage and not draw down your ignition. Run this wire directly to the (+) terminal of the choke with a 5A fuse inline. Then run the (-) of the choke to the same oil pressure switch your dashboard warning light uses. It's a normally open switch that connects its terminal to ground when oil pressure reaches 5 PSI or so. Only when that switch closes (engine running) will current flow and heat the choke. If you like, you could use two separate switches on a T-fitting.

Nice little simple circuit. It's fuse-protected and current only flows when the engine is actually running.
I cant take out the 1" Hex oil adapter with the only fitting on it in the block because it is basically froze up in the block and I dont want to force it and break it off. I will have to research the alternator trick. I really dont have any other option. I cant find another port to put the old oil sender on the motor. Thanks for the info though!!Smile
This is America. What you believe is not the problem... What you believe I SHOULD BELIEVE is the problem!
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2017 at 10:09am
... could always convert it to a manual choke. Auto parts stores used to sell kits for it. I converted a few cars to manual choke and always bought aftermarket carbs with manual chokes.

To me, a manual choke is simpler and more predictable - choke when you want it, no choke when you don't. Also made it simpler to just fully open the choke if you inadvertently flooded it, rather than having to remove the air cleaner and stick something in the choke to keep it open.

Just another option to consider.

Hope this helps,RD
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2017 at 1:33pm
Your concern was one of listening to the radio and having the chock on too. For example anyway.
I have had no problem with finding an underhood source of switched 12 volts that comes from the run switched sources. The run functions are not turned on when using the accessory position of the ignition switch.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic