TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

195.6 Road Trip Tool Kit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodder98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2017 at 7:31pm
Last May I rented a car, drove up to South Bend and bought a '64 American 440H 2 dr hardtop with the 199 cu in. OHV six.  I drove it home to central Florida after checking it over.  It didn't want to go faster that about 60 or so, but it made it ok.  I rebuilt the card when I got home because the accelerator pump was shot.  And, the engine used 2 quarts of oil. 
Driving it home was part of the adventure.  Loved it.

Mr_AMC View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr_AMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2017 at 3:51pm
I AM ABOUT TO DRIVE A '60 BACK HOME.. 500 miles, plan to stay at 55 or less.    Expecting an uneventful trip...
YES, I am bring some tools....
dltowers View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2017 at 7:07pm
Hello Jeremy,
When planning for an "Road Warrior Adventure in an old Rambler",
there is only 2 items that you will need to pack in your Road Trip Tool Kit....
(A photo of each is shown below)
Note**Item # 1 will fix 90% of any issue, Item # 2 will cover the restThumbs Up**....
# 1:

# 2:

Original Owner, 1974 Javelin:
360ci,2v,727TC. Motorola Multiplex with 8-Track.
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2017 at 5:14pm
Just be prepared! Make sure you have towing insurance on the car, for starters. They won't pay to tow it home, but getting it off the road is the first step. Have them tow to a local U-haul so you can rent a  U-haul rental truck and trailer to get it home... I had to do that once! Well, limped in to a local shop, decided it could be worse than it looked, and rented a U-haul and towed home from there. Another time I limped the car to a garage and left it for two weeks (paid a small storage fee) until I could order the part and go back and get it. Rented a car to finish my trip. The joys of driving something you can't always get parts from the local store for... That two week stay was when I was going for military training (two week course). The part came in the day before I had to leave -- boy was I sweating! Luckily it was a simple, quick fix once part was in hand.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic