TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC 360 Build - First Time Building a V8

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cw05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2017 at 6:37am
I'n not sure where you are in NC but Jerry Tucker in Archdale, NC has a long history building AMC's too. He has a local machine shop that he uses that is experienced with these AMC motors and doing the internal balance job.  His number is 336-847-4519.  Give him a call, I'm sure he'd be glad to help you.

Edited by cw05 - Mar/02/2017 at 8:12am
ruddyhair View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ruddyhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2017 at 7:15pm
Thank you all for the leads, advice, and time taken to reply. It's much appreciated. Will check out Jerry Tucker as well.

So picked up the 360 and drove it back from Greenville SC today. So excited. Has everything on the engine as from the factory. Even the tags on the valve cover. engines in this factory condition are getting harder to find imo. $600 for the engine and was happy to pay. Now to contact some of these machine shop leads!

Ruddyhair
LMM1996 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMM1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2017 at 8:48pm
I just had a 360 built, as a matter of fact I pick it up tomorrow. It ended up taking way longer than expected due to a few issues, but I am really looking forward to getting it up and running. I'll give you a run down of what I did to mine:
-My engine was already .030 over and had a bad spot in one cylinder so we bored it to .045 over.
-I used Wiseco Pro Tru forged flat top pistons for mine. Ended up at 9.77:1 compression. 
-ARP main studs, rod bolts, and head bolts
-King Bearings
-993 heads with valve job, Comp springs, arp rocker studs, and Comp roller rockers
-Howards 220/220@.050 .540/.540" lift cam with Howards lifters and pushrods.
-Rotating assy was balanced. I was going to do it but it became necessary due to how much lighter the pistons were than stock. 
-Rebuilt oil pump, new pickup, and new oil pan.
-Flowkooler water pump
-Edelbrock torker intake with Holley 600 DP.

50 Fiver View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50 Fiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2017 at 8:10am
Watching, the thread as well...   I live in NC as well and should be picking up a 401 in June... Unknown condition other than it runs, but #6 has 80 psi... the rest are 100. Not sure what route I will take with it, but, with it being a 401, I will surely take it to someone that is reputable with AMC's I don't want any mistakes with it from someone who "knows their way around them"...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic