TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1985 AMC Eagle Limited Valve Cover Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger and Son Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2018 at 11:51am
Thank you 

I will definitely have the shop look into that. When I bought the car, the person who had it before me cut out all the vacuum line, stating that since he had updated the carb, they were not required any longer. I never understood his rationalization with that one. If something runs on vacuum, It needs vacuum lines. Its a much bigger carb than the stock. I need to find out what it is so I know for myself.

On a side note, How do I upload pictures onto this site so I can share with you all 
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2018 at 5:19am
Frank Swygert
Ranger and Son View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger and Son Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2018 at 11:03am
did you remove the vacuum heat switch going to the heater core. is your heat now on all the time 

FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2018 at 4:37am
The cast aluminum covers work nice but threading the bolt holes in the head is difficult with the head installed. The rear bolt is really a bugger to get to. An improperly installed aluminum valve cover isn't going to be much better at not leaking than the plastic craptastic valve cover. 

Not surprising that the original carburetor and control system was removed. The original carburetor was computer controlled and basically self-adjusting. They run extremely well, but usually some switch, wire, or vacuum line would fail and make the engine run like crap. Then a local small town mechanic would rather rip it all out and replace it with something they are familiar with (old fashioned carburetor) rather than take the time to figure out and repair a more advanced system. 

The trick is that some of the vacuum lines were part of the control system for the carburetor and are truly no longer needed, but some of them were for emission controls and may still be needed to make the engine run properly. They could now be hooked up in screwy ways or not at all. Some of the vacuum lines were for comfort options like cruise control. You just have to go through and find out what is working and what is not.

Welcome to Eagles. Great cars, but a pain in the neck to work on. I have a 1984 Limited with every option in the book that is completely intact under the hood. Holy heck there is a lot of stuff crammed under there. 

1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic