TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

63 Rambler Classic 660 Gen Light stays on

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tommywilliams04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 63 Rambler Classic 660 Gen Light stays on
    Posted: Feb/21/2017 at 10:15am
Hello! I'm having an issue with my car where the gen engine light stays on and after a while it seems to shut off. Also with the cold weather I've noticed that my blinker stops working after it blinks maybe 2 times. I just replaced the battery a couple of weeks ago, but not sure where to start looking. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in  advance,
Tommy
wallus View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2017 at 12:36pm
If you are sure all of your connections are good then try checking battery voltage with the engine shut off. It should be around 12-12.6v or so. Start the engine and check voltage again. It should be higher than your first reading and as you raise the engine rpm you should get between 13-14v. If you do then your generator and regulator should be fine. If the voltage is less than your first voltage check even with higher rpm then there may be a problem with the generator or regulator.
Tommywilliams04 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tommywilliams04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2017 at 3:19pm
Thank you so much Wallus! I'll definitely hook it up to a voltage meter! 
wallus View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2017 at 3:44pm
Sure thing
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2017 at 7:09am
See the "alternator/charging system test" sticky. That will solve your problem one way or the other (repair or what to replace). You should have a Motorola system.

As for the turn signals, replace the flasher unit. It's basically a circuit breaker and gets old. Might be hard to find... but its tucked up there behind the instrument panel, just hanging on the connector IIRC.
Frank Swygert
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tommywilliams04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2017 at 9:51am
Thanks so much Farna! It's really strange that it seems to stick only when the car is cold. Sometimes it starts to flash and then stops.. I'm having the tires changed tomorrow so I'll ask the mechanic to look over the voltage and the flasher unit. Thank you again!
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2017 at 7:02am
The diodes in the Motorola alternator may be bad/going bad. They can be replaced. The regulator may also be doing the same -- old electronic parts can behave erratically when hot or cold. Sometimes it's a trace break in the circuit board or a bad solder joint. Expands when warm, makes better contact and stops the bad behavior. 
Frank Swygert
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tommywilliams04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2017 at 12:21pm
Thanks so much Frank! My mechanic tested the battery and said my generator is bad. It was getting 11 volts with the engine on. I'm going to get it rebuilt. Thanks so much again for the help!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic