TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Benchtop mill

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Benchtop mill
    Posted: Feb/19/2017 at 7:46pm
Here's a new "toy" I got a couple of weeks ago. It's a Precision Matthews PM-25MV. I haven't milled with it yet but have done some power tapping and so far I love it. These are a couple of steps up from the "mill drills" with the round columns. With a 1 hp variable speed DC motor, it will handle most of the small jobs I do. I have friends with Bridgeports if I need something big worked on. I don't have the floor space for a BP and most used ones are worn out. I'm tired of going into work on weekends to use one there so this will come in handy as I keep doing more custom stuff and fabrication.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2017 at 7:58pm
Did you get the optional X power feed with yours?  What led you to choose this one over the other offerings like Grizzly, Jet, Bolton, and a host of others?  I take it you got it from Quality Machine Tools.  How were they to work with?  Some internet reviews of them were, frankly, not too positive.

BTW, I'm jealous! Big smile

Edited by 6PakBee - Feb/20/2017 at 7:54am
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2017 at 4:24pm
No I didn't. I can always add it later. Same with digital readout. That's what I really wanted but with having to buy accessories and tooling so I can use it, I decided to wait on that as well.

I chose it over them because Matt removed most all of the shortcomings of those machines when he had these made. These come from a different supplier with higher quality (better specs) than those. The top two issues with a Grizzly is the plastic gears breaking and the motor and drive failing from what I've read. Matt's using a DC motor and better drive than the AC motor/drive they use. The column is stiffer due to the way it attaches to the base. These are popular with gunsmiths as I found out mainly because of better tolerances. I figure for what I'm doing with it, it should be more than fine.

Yes I did and it's a small operation. (the mills name in my post is a link to their site) I actually went and picked it up in Pittsburgh, PA since I'm only a few hours away. I got to see one before buying and if there's an issue, I can take it back. He's a great guy to deal with, at least that's my experience. I asked a lot of questions over several phone calls and I never got an attitude. I did a lot of reading up on forum boards about the differences in all of them and these come pretty highly rated. I'm not sure where you seen bad reviews that weren't really old. I did see some from 2007 when they must of had some bad machines go out to customers. The one thing that bothered me was I couldn't find hardly any reviews or experience with the Bolton machines. Since they're in California, that helped steer them away for me. I don't want to get stuck paying to ship one of these back on my dime.

I also asked machinist friends about what's the most important thing and the number one answer was variable speed. I was considering the Bolton that's about the same price with a gear drive head but it only has 6 speeds. PM has a similar unit and he's working on having that with variable speed next year which would be a great machine that's a bit heavier duty.

Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2017 at 7:34pm
I've had a chance to do some milling on it and I've got say that it does a pretty good job for a little machine. It likes 4 fluted mills and higher speeds to keep the vibration down but with those I can move right along with it. NOW I'm wishing I would've gotten the power feed for the table! LOL I'll probably get that later this year or next year. I made some rear, lower shock mounts out of some 3/16" steel and it went thru that like butter. Here's another picture with the 4" vise I bought with it. Also found this cool LED light with a magnet base for $10 on Amazon which works sweet for one of these or a drill press for those of us with CSS syndrome. Wink

Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2017 at 7:40pm
I forgot to add the picture of the shock mount. Nothing fancy but a tab but to be able to drill and tap it and then machine it in my own shop is pretty cool. At least for me.....

Scene One View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scene One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2017 at 8:33pm
Wow! it looks great to me nicely done.
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2017 at 3:02pm
Thank you!

Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2017 at 8:23am
I need to come and visit you and you can teach me how to drive all that stuff, Keith.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2017 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by Ollie Ollie wrote:

I need to come and visit you and you can teach me how to drive all that stuff, Keith.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

Anytime my friend. Big smile

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic