TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Shocks & Bias Ply Tires on 68 AMX

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug in New Freedom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shocks & Bias Ply Tires on 68 AMX
    Posted: Feb/14/2017 at 11:55am
I'm running Red Line Bias Ply Tires on my 68 AMX. At first the tires lived up to their reputation as far as difficult handling. Every one who has switch from Radial to original Bias Ply I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. At least that's what I thought but last Fall I replaced the Shocks on my '68 AMX with Gabriel #82069 Front Shocks and Gabriel #82155 Rear Shocks for Classic Cars and most of the issues are gone, plus the ride is much better. The Gabriel shocks are Black and I'm told Gabriel Shocks were the OEM AMC used. Just wanted to share this info should you be fighting with your Bias Ply Tires. 

I do also have T/A Radials on another set of Magnum rims but don't see the need to swap them back on.
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2017 at 4:07pm
I am with you. I switched my 70 Javelin to repro F70-14's and have not found any huge issues. The only difference I see is the tendency to follow cracks in the road. Even there it is much less than people make it out to be. It is minor and the traction actually seems better than the radials I was running before. 

There are several newer innovations like gas shocks, electronic ignition and radial tires that are all incremental improvements, but if you listen to some it is a miracle that any car ever moved under it's own power before they were invented!

Chris 
SmallHurst View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmallHurst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2017 at 6:23pm
If you have any questions about Polyglas give me a call!!  My cell is 816-654-3400.
Snarl softly and carry a BIG STICK!!
Rusty Small
1969 Hurst/ Olds 13.26 @103
Pure Stock is the way to Rock!!!
Doug in New Freedom View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug in New Freedom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2017 at 7:15pm
Thanks Rusty, appreciate the offer but really don't have concerns or questions about Bias Ply Belted Tires. I learned to drive on them back in the '60 and remember when the first Belted Bias Tires came out back in the mid to late 60's. Then watch everything change to Radials in the '70's. But, as you say "pure stock is the way to go" plus I enter AACA events and have to have Bias Ply's on my '68 AMX or I'll get killed on point deductions. I even have Sealed Beam Head Lights. Wink

The Red Lines I'm running are Coker #54870 Firestone Wide Oval Belted Bias Ply's.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic