TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

T5 build help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T5 build help
    Posted: Jan/22/2017 at 11:10am
I actually worked on the T5 yesterday, Wacko.

I found the cluster I need, the input and opened up what I believe to be an early 90's late 80's 2:95 1st gear trans. The PO tried to put it in a 93 Mustang and put in the wrong geared input. Needless to say it hand grenaded in about 3 miles. He paid someone to put in a new Z spec trans and sold the grenaded one to me for $125 on ebay. I then bought the 24tooth input from him (the one he took out). I picked up a used correct cluster and what I need is to chase through this thing, no metal shavings, just chunks. gears all look clean and fresh. Representing the low mileage trans he claimed it is.

At this point I'm lost.
I want to put in a full bearing and synchro kit. Used to be ASE Master tech so the build does not scare me. What has me stumped is what kit do I need and how do I tell? I can call Bruce at Modern driveline or tear it on down to try to figure out what to buy, but am hoping some one here can point me to a good economical source for a kit and the right kit.

It's going behind my 4.0L so I'm not concerned with a super strength build. Anything is going to be stronger than the current AMC T5 that I will be stealing the tailhousing setup from.

It'll be turning an 8.8" with 3:L73 gearset.

Any help appreciated.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2017 at 4:57pm
Summit's Ford Performance Parts T5 Rebuild Kit P/N % FMS-M-7000-A

Says it covers 85-95 5.0L, 85-86 SVO 2.3L, or 94-2000 3.8L

$351.97
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2017 at 2:05am
That looks about right. I have two T-5 assemblies both with the wide ratio 4.03 set. I still can't get over how tall the OD ratio is and how low the RPM will be when it engages.
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2017 at 6:13am
The basic final drive on Fords was in the high 2's which gave something in he order of 32 mph/1000 rpms when in 5th and it had to be about that in order to make 1st gear a usable gear. If you shorten the final drive far enough you basically loose the benefit of the over drive and the transmission becomes something akin to a wide ratio 3 speed with a granny gear and an over drive.
I put a T5 in my MARK DONOHUE Javelin some where around 1993 and using a 3.15 final drive I have since driven it about 50,000 miles successfully and happily.
For street use and based on gearing available for AMC axles I would have been happier if there was a ratio closer to 3.05:1 but as it is with 3.15:1, 1st gear is usable and in city traffic with the cam in the 390 I have in it the car is driveable in all traffic conditions.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic