TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

BW-T35 -> AW4 Swap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2017 at 9:52pm
 get a TSM to diagnose (I think it's fried)

If you change your mind and decide to fix it

see page 280:  

http://www.altousa.com/images/uploads/20162_Alto_Combined_Catalog.compressed.pdf

(they make Red Eagle frictions and Kolene steels for it)

I might be slow to reply but feel free to PM me if you need more help on the BW35

DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2017 at 6:55am
That references the front page. :/

The pan looks like junk but the fluid looks good. I don't know where to look but this was a nightmare to find a replacement gasket. There's a generic NAPA unit that took FOREVER to find because we can't identify the transmission. I have people telling me this isn't a BW but an FMX and asking me what it came out of. Was there ever a brief period where the FMX was issued to Javelins? It's kind of a super generic trans and that's another reason I need to get away from it.
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2017 at 10:07am
Those BW's were used by International thru '71, by Jaguar, and by several other manufacturers worldwide. They were not considered a "performance" transmission, but with maintenance you could get a couple hundred thousand miles out of them in sedate passenger car usage.

Clean fluid and filter in a transmission with obvious problems means to me that someone previously tried to see if a fluid and filter change would solve whatever problem they were experiencing. When it didn't, you inherited the problem with half the damage clues--pan residue--missing. And aviation Permatex will do to a pan gasket what you see here.

Edited by Buzzman72 - Jan/27/2017 at 10:10am
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2017 at 12:20pm
 Northwest transmission or Fatsco can supply overhaul kits. There may be a data plate on it somewhere.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2017 at 10:40pm
I've been scrambling to find a data plate or even a stamp somewhere on this transmission case to no avail. I'm probably going to once again summon a rental the morning and go picking to take care of a future issue that I won't be able to handle unless I do something now. This car is going to be sitting for a long time along with all the other junk in my yard. This is completely unacceptable.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2017 at 4:54am
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMC_Transmission_Applications
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2017 at 10:11am
The data plate should be on the driver's side of the trans near the shift lever, to the rear of the lever. Older models of the M-3x and 4x aluminum main body trannys have a hexagonal plate, all the iron cases M-8/10/11/12 have an oval plate. There is a number starting with "ASx-xx". The two numbers after the dash (after the AS or ASx) are the model number. 1971 models went to a different numbering scheme and only have a number, no AS. You have to use a chart to ID the trans. The plate may be covered in road grime and be hard to read, as the AS number was screen printed on. I wouldn't use a wire brush to clean.

Here is a sample of a 71 M-12:

AMC didn't use the FMX. Many parts interchange and many generic (Chilton's, Motors) repair manuals lump the Ford and BW trannys together, since adjustments and general service is the same. Repair kits cover both Ford and BW models -- there are multiple gaskets to cover the differences, you get 2-3 pan and valve body gaskets in one kit.

The reason is the Ford FX, MX, and FMX trannys (all the "o-matic" models) are essentially BW trannys. When Studebaker dropped out of an auto trans development deal with BW in the early 50s (around 1955) Ford took Studes place. They had a five year or 10 deal (I forget which now...) with BW to buy 50% of their trannys from BW and license manufacture the rest. There were some changes made for the Ford models, specifically in the case and valve body. Those don't interchange with BW branded models, mpost other parts do. These are basically M-8 derivatives. The FMX was manufactured solely by Ford after the deal ran out. It incorporates the best features of the FX and MX, hence the name "FMX".

Anyone who can work on an FMX will find the BW familiar.

BWs are still made, or at least were into the late 80s/early 90s, overseas. The smaller manufacturers didn't have the resources to individually develop auto trannys and bought from outside sources. ZF also makes an auto used overseas (since 1965). The BW started out as Detroit Gear (DG) autos in Studebakers in 1950.

Edited by farna - Jan/29/2017 at 10:37am
Frank Swygert
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2017 at 11:52am
I recognize this design from 1950s Studebaker pickups but I've never really seen or learned much else about it. The preference I have for strong and dependable transmissions has always kept me running the other way from these things. I'm going to drop the transmission mount today and look for any tags that may still be present. I'm not optimistic.

Chances are I WILL have to unbolt this mess from the car and give it to some idiot that will play keepaway with it for a few months while I struggle not to go broke because of it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic