TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Eagle & Spirit tach wiring

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eagle & Spirit tach wiring
    Posted: Jan/16/2017 at 8:40am
I have a couple of Eagle or Spirit tach clusters I want to test before I sell them. The tach has one green & one yellow wire coming out the back. What should these connect to? I assume one is power, the other goes to the coil.
macdude443 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macdude443 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2017 at 2:43pm
Green is coil (-).  Yellow is (+) 12v.  Run a ground to the metal mounting plate.  If the tach sits above zero at rest with no power connected, it is most likely damaged internally from the epoxy drying out.  Needs to be CAREFULLY disassembled and repaired.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon
1985 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2017 at 3:21pm
Thanks! Both tachs sit exactly at zero currently. Hopefully they are good.
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2017 at 6:10pm
The Eagle and Spirit tachometers are what is called by many an in line tachometer, not a triggered one.
It functionally fits between the Switched 12 volt source and power to the + terminal of the coil. A TSM will verify the exact wiring. Thus what it does is measures current to the coil when the engine is running.
At slow speeds, less current is used, at higher speeds or higher rpm's more current is used.
But rather than showing a current flow in terms of milliamps or something equivalent the display shows engine rpm. It is adjustable to be used in 4, 6 and 8 cylinder engines via a potentiometer located inside the housing.
Usually the first thing some one does is hooks it up as if it is a triggered tachometer which blows it up. That generally ends it's usefulness.
At least that has been my experience.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic