TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

304 w/ Cherokee 4x2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrRambler69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2017 at 12:21pm
I6, silly me. Sometimes I need to take a deep breath and get myself into AMC mode before making posts.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2017 at 7:34am
I usually ignore the "V6" when someone is talking about the AMC I6. It's sort of understood. Many young people (even some in their 30s) have never seen an I6, unless they are Jeep or some foreign car enthusiast (Mercedes and BMW still make I6 engines, maybe Volvo...).  All six cylinders to them are "V6" because that's all they ever see or hear about. 
Frank Swygert
DrRambler69 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrRambler69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2017 at 8:08am
I ignore that sort of stuff too, when I comes up on the track car forums. Simple mistake. I have 2 I6 cars and I've never even owned a V6 car.
maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2017 at 11:21am
In this case it was a valid question as the title says Cherokee which could be a v6 or an i6. We had a v6 5 speed one. We got burnt on it just as AMC was done with no recourse.
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2017 at 8:06pm
I can't imagine what a Javelin or Eagle would be like with that 84-85 Cherokee issued GM 2.8L but it might give me the same impression as the modern Dodge Charger which is essentially an economy car. The bell pattern for this engine is kind of limited and I'm not sure what bolts up other than a 4spd/5spd that only seems to be a rare salvage. It's not going to be of any use in an AMC other than an Eagle because none of those Jeeps were RWD.
Amx68 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amx68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2017 at 10:23pm
I've been looking into the same swap lately as well. I have a couple 360's and a Jeep 2wd Ax15 with internal slave setup. I'll be converting the trans to the 95+ style external slave setup as I prefer it. There is a lot of contradictory information out there. The Amc V8's being externally balanced is what causes the trouble. Most guys say your best bet is using the flywheel from the 4.0L motor (neutrally balanced) and getting it 'match balanced' to your 304 flywheel and then using the 4.0L starter. The V8 flywheel is said to stick 1/4" further into the bellhousing and interferes with the throwout (although some say they've had no clearance issues using the V8 fly).
1968 Amx - Was 390/4spd, will have mild 360/5spd T5 (project)

1999 Jeep Cherokee Limited - 4.0L Auto, 3-link front, 6.5" lift, 36" Swampers, locked front/rear, 4.56 gears, doorless, etc. Wheeled & DD
fireball327 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fireball327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2017 at 12:49pm
Use you stock flywheel and clutch set up with the external slave out of the jeep , only issue might be the pilot bushing did this swap on a 1980 258 used the 258 flywheel and clutch but had to use the 4.0 pilot bearing . A friend used the AX 15 behind a 69 390 used the 390 fly wheel and stock clutch and jeep pedals with external slave both work extremely good. The Ax 15 is a strong unit and will put up with moderate abuse ! Good Luck
Amx68 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amx68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2017 at 5:11pm
Your friend didn't need a spacer between the block and bellhousing? Some guys say it fit no problem, others say that with the stock V8 flywheel it's about 1/4" too deep into the Ax15 bellhousing. Been thinking of mocking it together in my garage for my swap before I put the motor and trans into my car, to find any problems before it's put in.
1968 Amx - Was 390/4spd, will have mild 360/5spd T5 (project)

1999 Jeep Cherokee Limited - 4.0L Auto, 3-link front, 6.5" lift, 36" Swampers, locked front/rear, 4.56 gears, doorless, etc. Wheeled & DD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic