TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Crossmember

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambler Mexicano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crossmember
    Posted: Dec/24/2016 at 1:26pm
Does anyone know if something like an aftermarket transmission crossmember exists?

I need to know if there is a different transmission crossmember I can use for my car (Spirit) that would allow more space/clearance to pass the exhausts ABOVE it.

As far as I know the VAM transmission crossmember is the same as the AMC crossmember. The portions of the sides of the transmission are S-shaped right at the part where the transmission tunnel meets the floor. That shape would allow for an exhaust to pass both above and/or below, but I would need something with a little more space.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Edited by Rambler Mexicano - Dec/24/2016 at 1:29pm
Mauricio Jordán

Cuando no se es una empresa famosa se deben hacer mejores automóviles.
- Vehículos Automotores Mexicanos S. A. de C. V.
amc67rogue View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc67rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2016 at 2:12pm
Is it possible to flip it over? IIRC there are two upward curves for the EX. to pass underneath it.

Edited by amc67rogue - Dec/26/2016 at 10:25am
Keith Coggins 67Rogue X code
bubbarules1958 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubbarules1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2016 at 11:22pm
I'm in the process of building one for my Gremlin. Will let you know how it works out.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2016 at 8:30am
No aftermarket bolt-in trans crossmember. You're stuck with fabricating your own, or you might find a universal crossmember you can modify to bolt in.
Frank Swygert
Rambler Mexicano View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambler Mexicano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2017 at 1:54pm

News flash.

I just bought this transmission crossmember from a 1980 VAM American DL (Concord DL/Concord Limited wagon) that was parted out.

I will modifify it to suit my needs. The two curves will be inverted so I can pass the two exhausts over the part with enough space to allow air to flow and thus disipate the heat away.

I will also wrap the two exhausts with the vandage-like tape that will keep the heat inside (the same type used to wrap the headers), and also I will be covering the transmission tunnel from the firewall to the back of the crossmember with heat reflecting material.

This will keep heat to the floor AND transmission to a minimum.

I really hope this helps to finally solve the problem of the exhausts hiting against the humps, my exhausts breaking because of that as well as taking the risk of damaging my engine head and headers.
Mauricio Jordán

Cuando no se es una empresa famosa se deben hacer mejores automóviles.
- Vehículos Automotores Mexicanos S. A. de C. V.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic