TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Floor Shift conversion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonrobbi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Floor Shift conversion
    Posted: Dec/23/2016 at 10:04am
I'm sure this has been discussed already but cant find the link so I'll ask anyway. I'd like to swap the 3spd manual column shift to floor shift in my 64 Classic 550, anyone have suggestion on a specific kit that works well or had I best just leave it alone? Thanks
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2016 at 11:07am
Just be aware it is an old transmission and while similar ones might have been used in cars of the era, things like transmission conversion kits tend to be product specific to work correctly and doubt that there has been any made in a long time that fit it.
That said, here is a google search for conversion kits, see if anything fits:
3 speed floor shift kits
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2016 at 2:03pm
you should be warned that the Hurst Mastershift shifter is a very poor thing indeed. i had one on my rebuilt T14 and it shifted very badly. sloppily made, bad gates, i constantly hit R on thew way to 2 even when careful. i thought it was me (even though i've driven ancient 3-speeds for years). 

i found a 1960's vintage Hurst Synchro-Lok -- and WOW! NO CONTEST!!! sharp, snaps into gear, short throw, travel adjustments, incredible quality. paid $150. worth more than that.

in their defense, there's no real market for 3-speed transmissions, and probably most of those go into sunday-only drivers, and lots of pickups. 

a surprisingly good choice is the old Rambler Twin Stick shifter for the pre-64 americans. a friend that reviews lots of cars for Jalopnik was shocked at how good a shifter it was, even 50 years old. incredibly narrow gate, crisp and clean. most certainly bolts onto a T14 or T96.  it's a big funny stamped thing meant to be hidden under a console, but i cleaned mine up and painted it and it looked fine to me (but i'm weird).

1960's vintage stuff was made when people actually cared, so i'd buy that. the Masteshift is a P.O.S. and worth $25. i will get you driving in a pinch.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2016 at 2:23pm
 I put a Fenton shifter  in my 64 American, which had a T-96 with overdrive.
Then put the same shifter on my 69 American with a T-14 and OD.
  I just had to use different holes to bolt it on, re adjust the brackets and shift rods.
 Kept it on the 69 for over 15 years.
 Had to rebuild it with some new bushings that I adapted from another shifter in the 80s.

In other words a shifter I bought in the late 60s,  I have no idea about the modern versions.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2016 at 2:41pm
I also had a Hurst Syncro-loc and as Tom say's 60's vintage, but then again I bought it new then and put it on a 3 speed for a MOPAR Slant 6, but then, they made things for vintage transmissions, they weren't vintage then. I really don't know what is available now!
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2016 at 6:23am
The modern (even 60s aftermarket) shifters all have brackets that bolt to the transmission. The Twin-Stick shifter is actually made into the floor hump that comes with it -- shifter bolts to floor. There used to be a van specific floor shifter that bolted to the floor, but haven't seen one of those in ages. You're limited on choices, but even a four speed shifter will work. You just ignore the reverse position. I'd put a three speed or blank knob on it if you go that route -- 1st position on a four speed is reverse on a three...

If you have the stock trans it's not a fast shifter anyway. Only has a synchro between 2nd and 3rd -- DO NOT use first for engine braking unless it's an emergency (like brakes fail...) -- doing so chips first gear teeth! Trans is not designed for down-shifting on the move to first like modern trannys are. Just use first to get moving, then all shifting is between 2nd and 3rd. That's why 2-3 is on that same lever -- easy to go between them.

The column shifter can be adjusted a bit tighter. You really need a TSM -- it has the adjustment procedure. If you plan on keeping the car that will be your best ever purchase. They run $30-65 on e-bay.

Edited by farna - Dec/28/2016 at 6:27am
Frank Swygert
Bonrobbi View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonrobbi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2016 at 9:17am
Thanks for all the input, I appreciate it. Rob
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2016 at 9:36am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

The modern (even 60s aftermarket) shifters all have brackets that bolt to the transmission. The Twin-Stick shifter is actually made into the floor hump that comes with it -- shifter bolts to floor. There used to be a van specific floor shifter that bolted to the floor, but haven't seen one of those in ages. You're limited on choices, but even a four speed shifter will work. You just ignore the reverse position. I'd put a three speed or blank knob on it if you go that route -- 1st position on a four speed is reverse on a three...

If you have the stock trans it's not a fast shifter anyway. Only has a synchro between 2nd and 3rd -- DO NOT use first for engine braking unless it's an emergency (like brakes fail...) -- doing so chips first gear teeth! Trans is not designed for down-shifting on the move to first like modern trannys are. Just use first to get moving, then all shifting is between 2nd and 3rd. That's why 2-3 is on that same lever -- easy to go between them.

The column shifter can be adjusted a bit tighter. You really need a TSM -- it has the adjustment procedure. If you plan on keeping the car that will be your best ever purchase. They run $30-65 on e-bay.

Not sure since I have not looked at my old Hurst Indy Shifter. Seems like it was a bolt to the floor type shifter with a mess of various rod and bracket configurations. If I find the instructions before the weekend, I may post pictures to verify it as an option.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Kenosha62 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenosha62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2017 at 6:40pm
I was planning to put a twin-stick into my 62 Classic wagon does anyone have a picture of the linkage on the twin-stick on a T-96?
I have a couple of twin-sticks (in storage)from unknown years but have not dug into measurements, where to cut hole etc.
My column shift works well and is fairly tight. Since the twin-stick did not come in the Classic leave well enough alone, is there an issue I might want to know about, has anybody done this already?
Thanks

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2017 at 5:59am
Twin-Stick came out in 63. IT fits fine in the 63 American, so should be no issues with the 62 Classic (floor is similar). Hope you have bucket seats though, as the T-S was designed to sit in a console. You can delete the console, but may have to make a custom boot. Look to Jeep sources for a boot though, there may be one close enough to work.

All images I found show the T-S right near the front edge of the seats. Can't tell if the seats are all the way forward or back, or somewhere in between, but looks like shifting would be tight in first and third with a bench seat.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic