TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Pre-70 Performance suspension

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMoCoLite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2020 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by 4015spdJavAMX 4015spdJavAMX wrote:

Love the stance, very nice work on the control arms.

What tire brand are you running and what is your front wheel and tire size?

Also, the panhard rod in the rear looks nicely packaged, can I ask where you got that from and what you think of it overall? Tried google searching Maien and Malen and struck out.

I’m not familiar with 343’s build...but taking a shot in the dark...I’d try...Maier...as in Mike or Charles Maier...California fellas heavy into early Mustang suspension and body works.

Good luck!

Thumbs Up

Edited by AMoCoLite - Sep/05/2020 at 9:12pm
4015spdJavAMX View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4015spdJavAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2020 at 9:51pm
Thanks AMoCoLite, that is clearly correct.

That panhard bar setup with the integrated sway bar mounts along with their rear springs look pretty sweet, I don't know how the length of a Mustang spring compares to an AMX, but can certainly ask.

And they are right down the road, maybe I will have to go pay them a visit!

343SharpStick, did you just use the panhard bar setup or did you use more from their collection?
1972 Jav-AMX 401 4-speed....T56 next?
1970 AMX 390 auto, now 5-speed
1970 AMX 390 4-speed, stock
343sharpstick View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2020 at 10:07am
I got my kit from Maier Racing years ago. The business changed a little and is now Mike Maier Inc.

I've followed his cars for a long time because he is a top level autocross competitor, and I built my car to also perform better than any other Javelin. Basically copy what's working for someone else.
I purchased my kit and had to completely cut it up, it was better than starting from scratch. But was still a bit of work. One of many differences is that a Mustang has space between the rear axle and the fuel tank. I am maintaining the stock tank so some compromises needed to be made in positioning the panhard bar. Another compromise made was the elimination of the staggered shocks. both shocks now mount to the front of the axle.

The Maier kit is a very clever design, the spring plate/panhard bar adjuster is excellent. I had to cut the front to accommodate the stock AMC shock mount.

His new design is a bit different than what I have. Actually my kit was very close to the Fairlane Kit he currently sells.

If you want to do what I have, I would recommend asking if you can purchase his kit with the chassis parts loose in the box.

Edited by 343sharpstick - Sep/06/2020 at 10:43am
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2020 at 10:33am
Found my picture of the car up on the lift.
With the car at ride-height the bar is horizontal. This is an older picture, now I have a Moser9 rear axle with disc brakes and an aluminum third member.
I have the stock-style rubber bushings so the axle can move slightly right-left to work with the arc of the panhard bar without binding. In my opinion using poly bushings could potentially bind.

I hope this doesn't drive a debate weather panhard bars a good or bad, if you don't like it, do something better and beat me on the track Wink.

For tires I've been using the Falken Azenis RT615. Front is 245/45-17 and rear is 275/40-17. Both are 26-inch diameter.

Perhaps I should do a torque arm next...

Edited by 343sharpstick - Sep/06/2020 at 10:44am
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4015spdJavAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2020 at 2:44am
343SS

Thanks for sharing your details, definitely some things to think about. I see you are not competing for space between the exhaust system and the panhard bar & mounting brackets, was that unworkable or you just decided to make it easier?

Can I ask what rim width and backspacing you are using on the front? My AMX is a '70, and I have control freak upper A-arms, so I'm thinking I can squeeze the 245-45-17 tires you are using in as well. Did you have to push the fender edges around any or roll any lips for clearance?
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2020 at 9:22am
My front tires are 17x8 with 4.5 inches of backspace, no fender modification needed. I have a 245-45-17 up front with no problems.
I had the side exhaust from day-1 with the car, it's just what I like. A full exhaust would be tricky but possible. I don't think an out-of-the-box system would work, you would need to do a custom system to get over the axle and out the back.

Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4015spdJavAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2020 at 12:25pm
343SS

Thanks for your feedback on the rim size and backspacing, so I was poking at the Tire Rack for these tire sizes, looks like their "rating system" suggests the Firestone FireHawk Indy 500 ranks the highest in this category of tires, so is there a particular reason you went with the Falken's? Are they better for autocross, or is there some subtle size difference that is important to the fitment or looks?
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2020 at 1:42pm
I've been using the Falken Azenis RT615 mostly because it's what all the fast Optima Ultimate Street Car guys have been using for a few years now, and the prices are reasonable.
Both that series, and the rules for the CAM class in SCCA autocross dictate a 200 tread wear tire... Monkey see, Monkey do. LOL

Edited by 343sharpstick - Sep/08/2020 at 1:46pm
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2020 at 5:49pm

Another great day auto-crossing the car, its so much fun!Beer
I hadn't been able to get out there since 2018, so some cob-webs to clear out, but my times did get better and better through the day as I got my head properly dialed in. 4th in CAMT behind 3 "door-stop" Camaros with LS Power. (Those Cars were moved from CAMC to CAMT this year). I feel like if I were driving better I could have moved up to 3rd. The larger tires, and some changes I made to the brakes did help. I now have an adjustable brake proportioning valve, and I do need to dial in more rear brake too.

Edited by 343sharpstick - Sep/16/2020 at 10:18am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic