TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Molnar 360 rods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2016 at 1:58pm
It's still the better plan to sell the rods, then buy rods more optimized for a stroker. Use the Molnar 6" long 2" journal AMC rod.

Rod ratio makes very little difference, but it is a good guideline to use a rod a minimum of 2" longer than the stroke. This guideline can be broken, but you better know what you are doing. The crank counterweights may require cam machining to clear the pistons, and that is getting to be pretty radical.

Going with the more optimum stroker rod gets you much better bearing availability, easier machining, and a better piston. Not all crank grinders will widen the cheeks for .940" width, but some will. The conventional "Detroit" crank will give you a 3.85" stroke widened for the .940" journal, the rods bolt in with the correct offset, and the CH works for 1.265-1.270 and a very nice package.

One other thing to mention is a good grinder will index the throws a bit for better material thickness from the rod corner rad to the oil drilling. Not paying attention to this has ruined a few cranks. Make sure your grinder knows what he is doing.

Edit - scratch all of the above. I see you are trying to use existing pistons. You are probably going to have to back off the stroke and make everything fit. Or sell the pistons and go with something more optimum. In the long run it will probably be cheaper unless you are doing the machine work yourself.

Edited by Ken_Parkman - Dec/02/2016 at 2:05pm
SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2016 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by tsanchez tsanchez wrote:

I had a 6 inch rod, with a .927 pin and its was close, pretty sure you are not going to clear

Actually with a 3.900 stroke, 6" rods and .927 wristpin the counterweight is 1/16" further from the wristpin than a stock 401.

SKeown
tsanchez View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2016 at 4:46pm
Steve, you didnt have my pistons lol center of pin to bottom of piston pin pad was far, my wisecos were way smaller and would have cleared by a ton

SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2016 at 5:21pm

I realize the design of a piston can pose clearance problems. I was referring to center line of crank journal to bottom of the wristpin. Another thing, the counterweight sweep can differ from crank to crank and front to rear of a given crank. I do recall you got a bum set of pistons along the way.

SKeown

Edited by SKeown - Dec/02/2016 at 5:37pm
xspiriment View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xspiriment Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2016 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by SKeown SKeown wrote:

I realize the design of a piston can pose clearance problems. I was referring to center line of crank journal to center line of the wristpin. Another thing, the counterweight sweep can differ from crank to crank and front to rear of a given crank. I do recall you got a bum set of pistons along the way.

SKeown
Yes, i did get a nice but wrong set of pistons from Lunati. You assured me about the valve reliefs re-cut to 18 degree is not a problem. I originally planned the this 360 stroker with 6"  rods and a de-stroked 401 crank cut back to a 390 stroke but having the 360 molnar rods got me to thinking about this new plan. If this plan doesn't work i will use the molnars in the current 360 build. Right now i have to swap out the water pump on my 73 J4500, seems the 73 360 had a one year only pump design and i put on one of my stashed away pumps from a '75' car, had the wrong casting. Angry  Any way i'll go back to mock up the stroker parts after the water pump.
xspiriment View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xspiriment Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2016 at 5:18pm
Well I got around to mocking up a stock 401 crank 6" rod and the pistons with the 1.425 c/h. Had about a .250+/- between the crank weight and the pin boss. So as it turns out the 360 Molnar rods will not work for the stroke, sure was hoping though. Guess I'll continue with the 360 build and use the Molnar rods for that. Hey, that's what they were made for anyway. Thanks for every ones input.
Hawaii-Jav View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawaii-Jav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2017 at 12:34am
So are you doing a 360 or 401? I have a set of Carillo rods, that are AMC specific 360 rods. They've been sitting for awhile when I was going ot get my 360 build going. They've been magnafluxed as well as shot peened. There sitting in motor oil right now, so no rust can attack them. Would be willing to sell them.

Ron
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic