TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

65 classic 660 lead fuel additive questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2017 at 6:20pm
Well I never claimed to know the number of the heavier transmission. I know they had at least one stronger one that went behind the V-8, don't know if they used it behind a six.
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2017 at 6:56pm
The heavy duty manual transmission option for the torque tube 6 cylinders was the T-86.

I think the standard duty trans for the V-8 torque tube cars was the T-85, I don't know if there was a HD manual trans option for the V8 torque tube cars, until they came up with the T-10.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2017 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

These kinds of debates are endless and infuriating. The only way you ever get to the bottom of something like this is to stop listening to other people and just experiment on your own. Find what works for you. That's the only way you ever get a true answer that you can trust.

This is largely why I ask for people's advice on here and then walk away and do my own thing anyway. It's the only way you ever really know for sure: find out for yourself. Sometimes the hard way.

I believe in finding things out for yourself and forging your own path....which really pisses off the older guys on this forum who think they know everything and that I know nothing because of how young I am. At the end of the day, if whatever you're doing works well, then it's perfectly acceptable and don't let people tell you otherwise.  
I dont debate.   I just tell you what I know.  Ive learned the hard way myself.   If I ask a question, its because I may or may not have the answer.  but Ive found that I might get an answer that I never considered.  to me, whats the point of asking a question if you have already decided what you are going to do?  I got better things to do with my time. 
You say the "older guys" think they know everything..... and they think you know nothing because you are a young man........
Here is the truth.
The "older guys" were working and modifying and restoring their cars long before you were.  so, they have experience which is what you dont have. you are going to school correct?   I went to school myself.
As I see it, you are closed minded. but thats due to your age....I was your age years ago.  
Im not saying all of the older guys are right.
You dont piss me off.   I dont worry about it.  because I enjoy myself.    I like AMCs.  and Ive got friends here.  some are not on this forum.  
and Ive worked on all kinds of cars, not just AMC.   American, foreign, it doesnt matter.   they are all the same. 
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2017 at 9:31am
I get the T-85 and 86 confused sometime. There is a minor difference, can't recall what, but both were used and are about the same strength. Most of the OD models were T-85s, straight stick T-86, but I don't think that is the difference (could be... since OD models have a reverse lock-out feature). The HD V-8 three speed was the T-89, used behind 327s. The T-10 four speed is a T-89 with fourth gear where reverse was and reverse built into the output shaft housing. I think there was an OD version of the T-89 (same as there was for the T-96), but not sure from memory. The T-85 from a Ford will work also. Don't know if Ford used the T-85 as a straight three speed, but all the later model three speed OD trannys Ford used were T-85s, up through the mid 70s in trucks.

So the tranny you would need to keep the torque-tube is going to be hard to find, especially locally. If swapping the drivetrain you can fit anything in one of the big cars -- it's just the smaller ones that are tight. The 4.0L is the only relatively modern AMC derived engine. If putting that in post in the six cylinder forum, and search the 4.0L swap sub forum.  If you decide on another make drivetrain start a post in the Frankenrambler section for drivetrain questions, everything else in the respective forum (body and such not related to engine/trans/specific to those wiring).
Frank Swygert
65Classy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65Classy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2017 at 2:25pm
I appreciate it you guys thanks for all the info. I'm most likely leaning toward a 4.0 swap I have a friend that has one I can have motor and trans and all just needs a head gasket. I'll post on the 4.0 section and Franken rambler if I need any advice on my swap. I still need some and things like a bumper and grill and other odds and ends. Thanks again.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2017 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by 65Classy 65Classy wrote:

I appreciate it you guys thanks for all the info. I'm most likely leaning toward a 4.0 swap I have a friend that has one I can have motor and trans and all just needs a head gasket. I'll post on the 4.0 section and Franken rambler if I need any advice on my swap. I still need some and things like a bumper and grill and other odds and ends. Thanks again.
Check the head for cracks.  and if antifreeze got in the oil......Antifreeze can eat the bearings...
65Classy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65Classy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2017 at 10:14pm
I will he said it started getting hot and he replaced it with one he had rebuilt he planned on rebuilding this one and already bought gaskets and stuff just never got around to it. He love my rambler wants to see it on the road again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic