TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Trading Post: Sale, wanted, vendors,shipping > Product Announcements
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

70 AMX led tail lights

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2020 at 11:48am
Originally posted by 70javrag 70javrag wrote:

I'd love to see them when you get them installed

I'll post photos on the forum.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2020 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

Yes, they're a bit pricey but it's worth it to avoid getting rear-ended. 

Until you can get the screen of the phone of the person following to flash red and BRAKE, don't think it'll matter
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2020 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by Heavy 488 Heavy 488 wrote:

Until you can get the screen of the phone of the person following to flash red and BRAKE, don't think it'll matter

Yeah, isn't that the truth but it helps. Ouch  The ones I have in mine seem to get peoples attention. The red rings around the reverse lights are hooked as third brakes lights and the have a flasher in the circuit so they flash 3 times when I hit the brake. A lot of the old cars have pretty poor tail/brake lights.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2020 at 7:21am
Like anything else, they're individual taste.
For me it's a novelty that doesn't fit an old car.
Bernie70AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bernie70AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2020 at 7:49am
Just do not like the Led"s , Great for on the Christmas Tree But not on cars . Not even on newer cars. Ok for Driver but sure sucks for the guy coming the other way. I would outlaw them on cars. ( This coming from old Guy)
Bernie70AMX
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2020 at 8:18am
To each their own but when you drive an old car as much as I do, you'll change your mind. Whether you like them or not, they do make a difference. Putting those cheap LED bulbs usually don't help but it's very dependent upon the housing style. I got rear ended several years back and that's when I decided to upgrade. Most of you don't drive your car more than 100+ miles a year so that's fine but when your baby gets hurts, believe me, you'll change your mind. Wink

I know most would laugh at this but I have a dash cam in the front and I'm working on one for the rear. Most people don't notice the front the way it's mounted and the rear you won't see unless you're really paying attention. When that guy hit me, he took off and I've had some other close calls so having proof of what happens won't hurt.

sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2020 at 9:14pm
I’m a big proponent of originality, but when it comes to safety I think it is good to upgrade. Good power disc brakes come to mind and I believe the optional stock solid disc rotors and four-piston calipers on my ‘69 AMX are actually superior to the stock power disc brakes on later cars, such as on my ‘92 Pontiac Firebird V8. 

In the case of original brake lights, which are woefully inadequate, I am a big proponent of using LED brake lights that are well-done, with emphasis on well-done. They’re far brighter than incandescent bulbs, produce less heat and use less amperage. Anything that is better at getting the attention of the guy behind you is a good thing. 
gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2020 at 8:47am
Safety first.  I run 3rd LED brake light back glass mounted.

A garage or trailer queen is different from road mile warriors.  More important today with distracted drivers running up behind me.

Again to each their own.
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2020 at 10:08am
Originally posted by sweatlock sweatlock wrote:

In the case of original brake lights, which are woefully inadequate, I am a big proponent of using LED brake lights that are well-done, with emphasis on well-done. They’re far brighter than incandescent bulbs, produce less heat and use less amperage. Anything that is better at getting the attention of the guy behind you is a good thing. 

I couldn't agree more. At the time when I made mine, I couldn't find anyone that would make them. You can't really see them until they get turned on and I tried to fill as much of the lens as possible. I wanted them to look as close to OEM as possible.
It's great that now there's an opportunity for Javelin/AMX owners to have some well done taillights. A friend of mine has a set from Easy Performance Products in his Firebird and they're really nice. I even think they might be a little brighter than ones from Digi-Tails. I hope more guys will step up and buy them and save $50. I doubt you'll be sorry. Keep in mind that LED's are hard to video or even take a picture of as I found out trying to take them of mine so their video is a bit misleading. They'll look better in person.

For anybody using a third brake light, you might want to splice this inline with it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M33BRAX

White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2020 at 8:37am
I like originality as well.

I don't like originality when it is no longer safe.

There are two big reasons I want LED tail lights in the White70JavelinSST.

Visibility and more Visibility to the point that it attracts a modicum of attention instead of none at all.

I drive the car roughly 2K miles a year.  I live in fear of cell phone users every time I drive it.

I live in fear of inattentive car occupants at stop lights. (cuz they aren't driving the car when they're using their phones)

I pray the light will turn green before that car coming  up from behind gets too close.

I like the occupant of the car behind me to know that I will be slowing down and turning.

I'm anxiously waiting the arrival of the kit and installing it.

The other thing I like about LED tail lights is the cool factor. Over the weekend I was behind a newer Mustang it had sequential turn signals. I've always wanted that for the White70JavelinSST.

70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic