TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'60 Classic clutch disc...should I worry?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnagorka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '60 Classic clutch disc...should I worry?
    Posted: Nov/06/2016 at 4:56pm
Quick question: the clutch doesn't engage until the last 1 1/2" or so of travel in the pedal; the adjustment in the linkage is as short as it will go, which should make it engage sooner (closer to the floor), and there's no slippage at all currently. Should I be planning to replace the clutch disc? I looked at some other posts in this category and everyone is saying the discs aren't available, it appears that they are still available reasonably from Kanter. Anyway: this is a big job I'm not prepared to handle myself so I would need to prepare and find someone else to do it; but maybe I shouldn't worry about it? I'm used to the clutch engaging much closer to the floor (on other cars, this one has always been this way).

CN
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2016 at 7:32pm
That's a sign the clutch disc is getting thin,  unless the original  adjusting rod got lost and was replaced by one too long, you're out of adjusting .
  I have took a adjusting rod apart, that was incorrect for the car it was on, with a threading die cut threads  further up the shaft, cut off the access, and got it to work.   You could try that,  but that would only buy you a little more time if you real problem is a clutch disc worn too thin.

There are plenty of places that rebuild clutches.  There one about 80 miles from me you take them a disc, about a hour later come back and pick up your rebuilt clutch disc.  Ask around. 
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
cnagorka View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnagorka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2016 at 7:48pm
That's pretty much what I figured...I'll start planning a replacement. I have no reason to think the adjusting linkage is the wrong one or anything. 
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2016 at 6:41am
But first... look at the point where the clutch linkage connects to the motor. Early 60s and 50s Ramblers had a rubber/fabric link between the motor and pivot point for the clutch Z bar. That thing gets stretched over the years and you can no longer adjust the clutch link. Sounds like that is your problem. Some replace the rubber with several layers of sheet metal (so it still has some flex), or cut the sidewall out of a tire. The tire sidewall will last a few years. If you can find some industrial or farm drive belt material (not V-belt, wide flat drive belt) that should work well. The flex keeps some vibration out fo the clutch pedal/linkage. You can use a solid piece of steel to replace the flex part, but there will be some vibration. Not much, the 196 is a pretty smooth running engine, at least until pressed over 3000 rpm.
Frank Swygert
cnagorka View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnagorka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2016 at 6:49am
Great idea Frank but that fabric strap is brand new. After my epic voyage last summer, the strap broke right in front of our house, disabling the car! I replaced it with a pre-made unit from one of the AMC vendors, so I know that isn't the problem (unfortunately).

1961 Ambassador Custom, 1967 Ambassador 990, 1960 Rambler Six Super, '65 American 440
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2016 at 7:30pm
I'd try a longer clutch rod in that case. You can get a steel turn buckle from any hardware store. Cut the loops off the ends and grind to a rounded end... well at least on one end. You might be able to find a longer turn buckle center threaded the same as what you have now.
Frank Swygert
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2016 at 9:57pm
The clutch is barely engaging with the adjusting rod at it shortest adjustment,  it doesn't need to be longer.

A longer adjusting rod wouldn't allow the clutch to fully engage, wouldn't it ?
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2016 at 5:37am
Sorry about that, got it backwards! IT sounds like someone may have changed to a longer rod as the flex link stretched. That or the new one is just a bit shorter than the original. In any case, I'd change the rod, even if you need to get a turn buckle and make a new shorter one. One end of the existing rod has standard threads, the other reverse threads. Might be easiest to find a bolt to fit the standard threads and make just that end shorter.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic