TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

compression question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2016 at 8:15pm

Run it a tad rich and you will have no problems.
Gremlin Dreams
Bruce Clarkson View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce Clarkson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2016 at 8:16pm
I'm no expert but redid my 1967 343 4bbl. Dropped the compression to just over 9.6. I used a very close to stock cam. I normally run 93 octane but have no problem up in Maine or the midwest when I can only get 91. The only problem is that on occasion I've had to retard the timing just a minor amount if I had it timed tight for 93.

Would hire compession work OK. Dunno. I'm just passing on that mine works.

Good luck
Bruce Clarkson
Bruce Clarkson
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2016 at 8:19pm
One thing to note is the 68-69 390 engines have a larger deck clearance and are not as tolerant for compression. Off the shelf piston options are limited for those engines. One easy way to drop the compression is use the later 502 casting dog leg heads that are 60.1 cc's.
Ralph G. View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ralph G. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2016 at 6:58pm
Thanks to all who have replied.
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2016 at 8:44pm
Boris is right, a tad rich is good for keeping detonation down. Overall, I would start with rich and timing around 33-34 total, maybe 10 initial, all in by around 3500-4000. You can lean it out and advance the timing slowly until it feels good, which is safer for your engine. If you do this you should be ok with stock compression. 

Chris 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic