TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Steering Box

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotty54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering Box
    Posted: Oct/21/2016 at 1:20pm
I need to replace the manual steering box on my 1981 Spirit. I am looking for something better than the stock ratio. Is anyone aware of any aftermarket item, or a stock box that's better than the one I have? 
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2016 at 1:45pm

I'm not familiar enough with the Spirits to say for sure, but the 92-98 Jeep Grand Cherokee box is a good choice for most AMCs.  Make sure you have the right diameter steering shaft.  You should have, because around 1976 the change was made from 13/16 to 3/4" diameter.  Worst case you'd have to get an adapter, for around $75 I think.

The following article is written for Chevy's, but good information for us as well since AMC used the same Saginaw steering boxes.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ccrp-0901-gm-steering-box-upgrade/

EDIT:  Just realized you said "manual" and I was talking about power steering.  Problem with going to too quick a ratio on a manual box is that the steering effort becomes excessive.  If you want to build up your biceps then it might work.

Edited by CamJam - Oct/21/2016 at 1:48pm
73Gremlin401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2016 at 5:30pm
You may want to give these guys a call - I've had excellent success with them, and I've been really impressed with their knowledge.   https://www.redheadsteeringgears.com/

Ditto on what the 1st responder said with regard to steering effort on the manual gear - you may really want to do the power steering change over, which is really not all that involved, and most bits can be junkyard sourced.
73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.
77 Matador Wagon 360/727.
81 Jeep J10 LWB 360/4-spd
83 Concord DL 4-dr 258/auto

scotty54 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotty54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2016 at 8:39pm
Thanks for the replies. The Spirit is a drag car so I am not concerned about manual steering effort. Just looking to maximize control.

The Hot Rod link had some great info, and I will be calling Red Head next week.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic