TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

electric power steering

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71 Javelin AMX O.O. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2016 at 9:34am
304 dude
You stated you are a power steering purist. I'm guessing you like the original set up as do I, but have you ever found a way or is there a re-build to the older style 71 and older power steering hardware that would give you more of a road feel that is closer to todays vehicles?   I like the idea of retaining the old pump and steering box, but the road feel is so distant and it takes a lot of concentration to keep it on a straight line. Everything has been rebuilt in the suspension, steering box and pump and the alinement as been checked more than once by a shop that works on old cars. I have been told that there no way to make it better? Is that what you have found?

Steve
Original owner
1971 Javelin AMX
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2016 at 9:53am
At the time of the early stages of this thread, I assumed he was installing the newer hybrid system, sort of like what is in newer Honda cars and others.

Since finding out he is using original equipement manual steering that has been rebuilt and properly adjusted. His option of using an aftermarket controller with the Electronic assist steering column, may be the only option for keeping a stock like system.

I have nothing against the option the OP has given, and is short and sweet so to speak on implementation. The only negative I see is electronics, if he does keep the Motorola charging system... Outside of weight. Keeping original steering components is heavier than a modern R&P.

For myself, I chose to update to Mustang GT R&P with 2.5 to one lock to lock, with a late power steering pump. The pump only takes about 3.5 HP to operate and allows Hydraulic Assist braking if I choose to go that direction.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2016 at 4:01pm
You can get a kit from Borgeson (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/brg-899001) to reduce steering pump pressure for a bit more feel if using a GM (Saginaw) style pump. If not, you can use a valve from Heidt's, but it takes custom hoses and is a bit pricey. At least it's easy to adjust pressure at any time though (http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Heidts-PS-101-Adjustable-Power-Steering-Valve,14895.html)
Frank Swygert
ttrrogg View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttrrogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2016 at 7:48am
70 javelin has a Saginaw from the factory, I was just going to add epsa to the javelin and get rid of the steering pump and hoses and maybe the steering box, epsa is adjustable. Now working on a wheel horse D-250 tractor(a very large 4 cylinder garden tractor) and adding the epsa to it.
1970 Big Bad Blue javelin sst
amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2016 at 9:07am
hi, to 71JavelinAMX, check out www.powersteering.com. Marty will rebuild your old original box with a better 12.7 ratio,  (or any ratio you want),(and pump as well if you want). That way you have originality with modern guts. Basic rebuild starts at about $300. He just did one for me, out of my 84 Eagle. I decided to keep the stock 14.0 ratio though.  I rebuilt the pump myself. Located in MO.  good luck, gz
george z
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2016 at 9:31am
With EPAS you use a manual steering box, not the old power box. The old power box is hard to turn with no hydraulic pressure (engine off). I'm not sure it will be much better even if you loop the hoses so you have oil circulating, but I have heard of people doing that and running a Saginaw PS box as manual... but I've never done it.
Frank Swygert
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2016 at 9:56am
Farna makes a valid point. You do have to go with a manual box if you desire using EPAS. Very important otherwise the turning resistance is going to be too great and you will prematurely fail the components. I suppose you could spend a ton more and get one of the pre-built kits design for a heavier turning resistance but I would think that somewhere in doing that you would then cause premature failure to the steering box since it is designed to have the hydraulic fluid running through it providing cooling and lubrication to the components. In my case I use the Control Freak IFS system with a mustang II type R&P so I am not a typical case. I would say that if you already have a hydraulic system it would be cheaper to stay that way and change to a smaller pump that would look a little better.
71 Javelin AMX O.O. View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71 Javelin AMX O.O. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2016 at 1:31pm
George Z
I had my original steering box rebuilt along with the pump and have no issue with the number of turns, but do with the road feel. Is there any way to rebuild the steering box or the power steering pump to give you more road feel. I'll see what Marty has to say at power steering .com.

Steve
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2016 at 1:55pm
Reduce pressure. If it's a Saginaw pump there are kits for that, if it's an Eaton I guess the only choice is the adjustable valve I posted a link to earlier. 
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic