TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1974 javelin power brake unit reman

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 53w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1974 javelin power brake unit reman
    Posted: Oct/19/2016 at 10:59am
I had master cylinder go out and filled power brake unit with fluid.
Ordered remanufactured master and power unit. I decided to test fit before painting and power unit mounting studs didnt match up. Took it back and ordered one from different reman and hopefully it matches up. Just putting it out there to test fit before you paint if you buying from local auto parts shop... or order from known amc vendor if you want correct on first try.
BDCVG View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDCVG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2016 at 11:20am
I got one from NAPA and it was exact replacement.
1970 AMX 390 5 spd full Control Freaks front and rear suspension
2014 E63 AMG-S wagon
1965 Austin-Healey 3000 MK III              
53w View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 53w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2016 at 7:05pm
Well see what shows up on second try. if still not right i will go to napa.
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2016 at 10:30pm
I bought one that was supposed to fit my 68 Rogue from Rock Auto but it was actually one that matched a 73 Javelin unit I had in my parts. It was the start of a painful now discontinued relationship with Rock. They do not want to take back parts that are wrong and will not pay shipping back if they do take it back. If their vendor says it fits, that is the end of the story. Only mentioned this because you cannot always rely on the seller to send you the right part.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
53w View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 53w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2016 at 7:04pm
Well 2 out of 2 do not fit bolt hole location from o-reilly. What is the known napa number for correct one for 74 v8 javelin?

Edited by 53w - Oct/24/2016 at 7:42pm
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2016 at 6:37am
The problem is suppliers "condense" part numbers -- they do a bit of parts book research and determine how many applications one part should fit, then change the numbers. On less known cars like our AMCs they make more mistakes. The sellers are supposed to report errors, and the supplier supposed to make changes as returns are made (let customers error check... like Microsoft...), but it often just doesn't happen on low volume parts. Some of use make mods to make things fit also, so maybe they don't get enough returns to make it worth changing their books? Even when they do make the changes, it may be 2-3 years before the changes get pushed out. In this day of computers you'd think they could do it faster, but a supplier has to change theirs first, then the store has to change their data base at hundreds of stores...  for a part they sell a dozen of (across all states and hundreds of stores) a year. Not exactly a priority...
Frank Swygert
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2016 at 9:40am
From your previous posts I am assuming disc front, drum rear, 360??  Everything I see says that a Cardone 54-73105 should work.

Edited by 6PakBee - Oct/25/2016 at 9:44am
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
53w View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 53w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2016 at 7:17pm
Thanks they ordered a 3rd one and it was exact match to one on car.
1 out of 3..... just happy it fit and was 100% match.
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2016 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

The problem is suppliers "condense" part numbers -- they do a bit of parts book research and determine how many applications one part should fit, then change the numbers. On less known cars like our AMCs they make more mistakes. The sellers are supposed to report errors, and the supplier supposed to make changes as returns are made (let customers error check... like Microsoft...), but it often just doesn't happen on low volume parts. Some of use make mods to make things fit also, so maybe they don't get enough returns to make it worth changing their books? Even when they do make the changes, it may be 2-3 years before the changes get pushed out. In this day of computers you'd think they could do it faster, but a supplier has to change theirs first, then the store has to change their data base at hundreds of stores...  for a part they sell a dozen of (across all states and hundreds of stores) a year. Not exactly a priority...

I found a mistake in the catalog of Tanks, Inc. and emailed them. Within a couple of hours they verified the mistake and called me to say that before the end of the day their website would be corrected. I checked later and they had corrected the mistake. It can be done if the vendor cares to do it. Even if they don't, getting an argument from them and a refusal to pay shipping back on their catalog error does not build customer confidence.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2016 at 7:32pm
Yes, it CAN be done, but most of the big suppliers aren't that responsive. Kudos to Tanks for doing us right!!
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic