TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1966 front brake swap info

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DG Racing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1966 front brake swap info
    Posted: Oct/18/2016 at 10:28pm
Hy guys , I'm new on this forum and I just bought a 1966 original American and I want to change the front drum to disk brake . Is there a easy swap using original AMC part ?

And my second question I want to install power brake so is there a original AMC swap parts from a newer AMC that fits on my 1966 ?

Thanks for your replies .
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2016 at 12:18am
the newest AMC parts are themselves vintage and increasingly hard to find and worn out. this is argueably the best option:

https://scarebird.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=95

i've used them a couple times. they work great.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

DG Racing View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DG Racing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2016 at 10:24pm
Thanks tomj

Is there somebody that used this bracket  ?  

https://scarebird.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=95&product_id=55

Rampar View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rampar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2016 at 10:41pm
Yead I have a 66 american Scarebird works good. even using a new but stock master cylinder...
1966 Rampar American
DG Racing View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DG Racing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2016 at 10:57pm
what kind of modification that we have to do to the hubs ?

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2016 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by DG Racing DG Racing wrote:

Thanks tomj

Is there somebody that used this bracket  ?  

https://scarebird.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=95&product_id=55

i installed that system in the front of my 61 american in august. the only issue i had was that ii had to turn down my drum brake hubs so that the hats would fit over them. luckily i have a friend with a small import lathe. other than that it all just bolted in.

oh! modern brake parts are all metric and use the new style banjo connectors. Scarebird recommends a particular set of hoses i found to be not useful -- but here's a GRREAT FIX! cheap and easy! i can't recommend theese highly enough: BANJO UNIONS.

i now have four identical brake hoses, front and rear -- some generic rambler hose, 3/8-24 thread, inverted flare at the chassis side.

here's one in place on the mustang rear axle, with a Rambler flex hose dangling from it.

i have some generic "chevy" 1" bore master cyl, though a mustang rear with discs.

Edited by tomj - Oct/19/2016 at 11:22pm
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2016 at 7:12am
Originally posted by DG Racing DG Racing wrote:

Hy guys , I'm new on this forum and I just bought a 1966 original American and I want to change the front drum to disk brake . Is there a easy swap using original AMC part ?

And my second question I want to install power brake so is there a original AMC swap parts from a newer AMC that fits on my 1966 ?

Thanks for your replies .

To answer this question directly, yes. Any disc braked AMC car made will retrofit back to an earlier one by removing all down to the steering knuckle and moving all to your car. Although some early trunion equipped cars have interference problems so take the right front and put on left front which moves caliper front to rear and keeps bleeder mounted on top. Brake hoses from Bronco probably work. The best brake to do this with is last Concord/Spirit brake.
But as stated, they ain't getting any newer and have a price attached to them for rebuilding to if needed.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic