TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Heater Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambler Mexicano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heater Questions
    Posted: Oct/18/2016 at 4:39pm
I have some questions about the heater in general, mainly in regards to the Hornet and Gremlin models.

These questions are in regards to the heater unit WITHOUT air conditioning, just temperature-level and hot air only.

Any pictures would be fully appreciated.

1.- Is the Hornet/Gremlin shared with any other model? I've heard this heater was supposedly shared with the Javelin in some or all years. Is any of this correct?

2.- Can the 1970-1972 Hornet/Gremlin heater core be used in the 1973-1977 heater box? Or are both boxes physically different?

3.- A 1973-1977 heater box being installed in a 1970-1972 vehicle would only an extra hole in the firewall (due to the different position of the heater core pipes) or are there more modifications/adaptations necessary for this?

Further questions:

1.- How many heater box designs were used in the Javelin? As far as I've been able to check, there was a new design used in 1973 and 1974. Is this correct?

From 1968 through 1971 were no changes to the heater (box and core) in the Javelin, there was only one design. Is this correct?

2.- Were the heaters used in 1967-1969 Rambler Americans shared with other models?

3.- The heater was always the same unit from 1967 through 1973 in Rebels and Matadors. The only change in that period was the controls (to the left of the speedometer from 1967 through 1971 and to the right of the steering column in 1972 and 1973). Is this correct?

4.- Was the Rebel/Matador heater shared with any other model aside from the Ambassador? OR the 1967-1974 Ambassador had a different/exclusive unit?

5.- Was the Pacer's heater shared with any other model?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Rambler Mexicano - Oct/18/2016 at 4:42pm
Mauricio Jordán

Cuando no se es una empresa famosa se deben hacer mejores automóviles.
- Vehículos Automotores Mexicanos S. A. de C. V.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2016 at 5:09pm
As for heater design for Javelins... there was a thread at I assisted on with on making one version fit on a later or earlier year, depending on which way you go. You need your original to swap the side brackets that fit the new replacement.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2016 at 6:02pm
Mauricio,

Good to see you post...

I can help some on heater boxes:

1.- How many heater box designs were used in the Javelin? As far as I've been able to check, there was a new design used in 1973 and 1974. Is this correct?   

First off, 1968-1970 Javelin are the same heater box.  Then 1971-1972 Javelin are the same heater box.  Then 1973-1974 Javelin are the same heater box.  Note that the heater box was also different for the same break out of years on Javelin's with Air Conditioning

Not sure on the other models.

Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
Rambler Mexicano View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambler Mexicano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2016 at 10:39am
Thanks everyone for your responses.

Here's a curiosity about the heater

Some years ago I found a 1971 VAM Javelin in a junkyard. The dashboard had been sold off almost from the moment the car ended up there. But they left behind the heater, which was complete except for the controls, which went away with the rest of the dashboard.

I knew a person that owned a 1973 VAM Javelin who needed a heater because his car had been installed (probably from the dealership) with a universal air conditioning system that had broken off and had to be removed due the leaks. But now he faced very troublesometimes during rains with the fogging of the windshield.

So I bought this system for him.

What I didn't know is that the Mexican Javelin had a heater box that was not AMC's original, but a unit designed and made in Mexico. Since cars in Mexico had to have atleast 60% locally sourced parts and content (that was law), this is probably the reason why the AMC original system was not used.

What was imported from the US though was the V-shaped windshield defroster ducts. The heater core and fan motor could have also been imported, but I don't have the details.

Mexican Heater Here:

http://theamcforum.com/forum/do-you-recognize-this-last-update_topic52383.html
Mauricio Jordán

Cuando no se es una empresa famosa se deben hacer mejores automóviles.
- Vehículos Automotores Mexicanos S. A. de C. V.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic