TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Flash o matic question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TallGraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flash o matic question
    Posted: Oct/09/2016 at 5:08pm
I have recently bought a 63 Rambler with the flash o matic box in it, after driving it and finding it slipping in gear I dropped the sump to hind the tv cable end broken so I repaired and all good.
My question is when in drive and cruising, when you lift off the throttle, the revs stay as in gear, and not drop to idle like most other autoboxs I'm used to, is that normal for this box?
Cheers
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2016 at 9:31pm
that transmission is excellent and reliable, but the throttle cable adjustment is critical to both operation and longevity. badly adjusted, you could ruin it in a few days of driving. you need to get a factory Technical Service Manual. the adjustment is easy.

i'm away from my manuals so i can't help tonight. maybe someone else can. basically you set the idle speed in neutral etc, take the pin out of the transmission throttle cable and adjust it's length so that the cable is in, or out, or something, a stated amount. you can tweak the shift point *very slightly* with an extra half turn of the clevis in either direction.

the BOrg Warner M35 is a fine transmission, it's major limitation is horsepower. 

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2016 at 7:00am
With the carb at idle position set the length of the cable so that it has a "loose pin fit" -- the pin that holds the clevis to the throttle linkage easily slides in/out. Then lengthen the cable by two turns. That is the factory setting. You can increase/decrease about 1 turn to tweak shifting. Increasing length increases pressure in the trans and firms shifting a bit. If you go over about 1.5 turns over stock you will find the trans downshifting a lot sooner also, sometimes when just maintaining speed up a hill when it's not necessary to down-shift. The cable also serves as a kick-down. The trans will down-shift when the cable "bottoms out" and road speed is under 60 or so.

As Tom mentioned, driving without the cable attached can burn the trans up because it slips to much. I wouldn't shorten the cable at all, as that reduces internal pressure. The reason for this is to allow easy shifts but still maintain adequate holding pressure as power (throttle) increases. A vacuum modulator does the same thing, only uses engine vacuum instead of a cable (open throttle = low vacuum).
Frank Swygert
TallGraham View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TallGraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2016 at 7:24am
Thanks guys, I have a factory manuel for the car and have tweaked the linkage a bit I'm guessing it needs a bit more, it's just once the car is in 3rd gear it's like it's a manual box, when you lift off its still in gear as such and it's not freewheeling, like most autos!
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2016 at 8:23pm
automatic transmissions do not freewheel. under certain conditions planetary (manual) overdrives do. you may be thinking of the inherent "looseness" in the torque converter coupling. 

The Borg Warner M35 will stay in 3rd gear, until you slow down (road speed). these early autos, at least, don't do much "downshifting" by themselves except at extremely low speeds. if you accell to 60, then coast down to 40, 30, 20, it will remain in 3rd. as you mash the gas pedal it will downshift to accellerate normally. 

there's no reason nor advantage to freewheel and in any case, that transmission won't do it. 

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic