TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Twin 360's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 161718
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pipefactory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2017 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by SirDigger SirDigger wrote:

Whats the R/V for an Model, and when was is it build?
From the styling, early 80s?

Whats your Plans on the cooling system, Double the CUI is double the heat.
1975 georgie boy cruise air 28 foot long.
As far as cooling, my edelbrock water pump will be here Friday.
I'm installing that with new 180 therm and new coolant. It has a 3 core grand wag radiator new 3 years ago. Going on my 1st camping trip like that. Then when I get back I'm ordering a new 4 core aluminum rad.

Face distorting torque
10.99@121 mph
Have2SC's View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Have2SC's Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2017 at 6:14pm
that is just way too cool!!Cool
1971 SC360 Hornet 4 speed   1970 Javelin 390 4 speed "Base Model" 1967 Rambler 220 X code 343 4 speed
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2017 at 6:25am
I guessed it was an older model after seeing it! Reminds me a bit of my brother's old late 60s/early 70s Superior motor home. It was his father-in-laws, used to tow a dirt track car with it to the races. Wife won't let him get rid of the hunk of junk... well, that's what it is now. If I really wanted to gut and remodel one it's still gooed enough condition, but everything would have to be gone through. Chrysler 440 drivetrain. I'd think a modern Hemi from a 2500 truck would be a great idea for it, but lots of $$$ for something the only way to get it back out of is to "enjoy it out"! Sort of like your project... but as long as you can do that, it's worth the money! Lots of our old auto projects are like that though, aren't they? At least yours is VERY unique!! Got to have an "AMC V-16" badge/sticker made...
Frank Swygert
pipefactory View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pipefactory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2017 at 5:43am
Hi everybody. I took the V16 on it's maiden voyage. 165 mile trip camping. We got about 15 miles at 60 mph and I thought I lost an engine as it lost a lot of power. I pulled over and shut it off thinking the worst. After not finding anything I started it up and it was back. Took off and it did it again in 5 miles. This went on a couple more times then I slowed to 45. No more problems. Troubleshooting in my head the rest of the way there I decided it was the 1/4" wagoneer return fuel setup I was using on the single motor.

I replaced the filter with a nonreturn filter and it went flawless all the way back. I had unbelievable uphill grade power and it did 7 mpg same as before. Foot hardly on the throttle on the flat.
I'm planning on a YouTube video soon.
One more thing. I put 1970 Roadrunner tail lights on it.
Face distorting torque
10.99@121 mph
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2017 at 6:07am
My guess is with the return line you weren't getting enough fuel -- some was returning even though the engine(s) wanted fuel due to pressure. You might need to upgrade to a 3/8" fuel line though, and only use the return if that overflows the carbs. I'm a little surprised gas mileage didn't improve slightly, but then you're burning twice as much fuel at idle. The same as before with lots more pulling power is a definite win though!
Frank Swygert
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2017 at 10:18am
Wow, glad to hear that this is working out for you. 
kenoshakicker View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenoshakicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2017 at 9:46am
Any updates to report on this cool project?
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2017 at 11:17am
Jaw dropping amounts of effort and off the chart levels of cool! LOLLOLLOL

I'd love to see you try to explain what you did to the average RV owner who couldn't change their own oil if they had a full shop and the FSM lol!

Very very nice, and I'm glad you got to reap some of the benefits before camping season ended.

I'd like to see the RR tailights if you get a chance to update this thread
Thanks for posting Clap

71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
pipefactory View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pipefactory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2017 at 4:23pm
So far we put 620 miles on it. Got between 5 and 7 miles per gallon. The best I ever got with one motor was 7.
I was having a little issue. I kept loosing a motor. I'd pull over, shut it off, restart and it came back. Before the last run I put a tac on each motor so I could troubleshoot it. I figured it out at the end, the terminal block I used was a cheap one and corroded right away so I was loosing the rear motor.
Now she's all put away for the winter.

My real test was Thompson hill. Everyone I know that pulls there racecar with a camper avoids it.
I went up it at 50, I didn't want to push it too hard as both motors use the same cooling.
Temp was great, I had power to spare, I think I could have gone 80 easily.
I ended up slowing to 20 as I ended up behind a semi in the truck lane but once I got an opening to pull out I was back up to 50 within seconds.

Edited by pipefactory - Oct/14/2017 at 4:44pm
Face distorting torque
10.99@121 mph
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 161718
  Share Topic