TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1967 rambler rebel convertible

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richy246 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1967 rambler rebel convertible
    Posted: Sep/19/2016 at 5:53am
Are there any better hubs,rotors and calipers that will bolt onto stock stub axles because I,m struggling over here in the UK to rebuild the ones I have and I thought there may be a more modern alternative that you guys are aware of. ( 1967 rambler rebel convertible)
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2016 at 1:11pm
I assuming from you comments you currently have the Bendix series "E" solid rotor four piston disk brakes currently on your car. Those were no ones favorite brake ever.  There are a couple of options depending how much your willing to spend. Bendix disk parts in the USA have become some what difficult to find.You can get the parts  here in the USA from one of the major parts AMC parts vendors if you must have stock. Fortunately the up right has the same bolt pattern for the stub axles for almost all AMCs from we believe 1937 up until the 1980 4WD Eagles which have a complete different set up due to the 4WD. You can fit Wilwood brakes, see Wilwood.com for information. The web site will tell the brakes will not fit but they do. There are two different AMC disk brake stub axles and two from drum brake stub axles. You need the disk brake stub axles and you have to more likely you need to shim the set up a little to get just right. Main problem is the stub axle I told Wilwood they just needed to make the stub axles too and the kit would fit all AMCs . No ,they not take the simple solution. There are a couple other options all have some small problems. None are cheap at any point. LRDaum
LRDaum
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2016 at 6:27am
Cheapest solution is to get a Scarebird AMC disc brake kit (www.scarebird.com). The Bendix four piston brakes use the drum brake spindle IIRC, so the Scarebird setup should bolt right on. If you use the Willwood (or Aerospace Components -- they make a good AMC disc setup)you can use drum brake spindles. The base of the spindle (where the four mounting bolts go) is thicker on the disc brake cars. You can use Grade 8 washer or a piece of plate to space the spindle further out to center the caliper on the rotor. I'm using a 1/2" grade 8 nut slipped over the mounting bolt as a spacer on my car -- has been that way since 2003 and over 70K miles with no issues. That spaces out about 1/2". Cant' recall if I have a washer or two on there as well or not. I spaced the spindle out instead of using spacers for my wheels.
Frank Swygert
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2016 at 5:15pm
Ok The reason I did not mention the Scarebird setup is that the parts like a Ford Ranger rotor and a GM caliper may not be readily available in England. I suppose you can order them on the internet assuming they are not readily available in the UK. They are maybe cheaper but maybe a lot more work and also not without problems and perhaps a need for some modifications. Also I'm not sure by the time you got the parts imported into the UK and paid any duties etal they be all that much cheaper. Again I'm assuming you can NOT run down to the local auto parts store in the UK and readily get the parts scare bird specs out. 

As for the Aerospace brakes, far as I know Mike Luke is the only one who sells those brakes. I think he has them made for him. Nothing against Mike Luke and he was there first with a more modern set of disk brakes for AMCs. But they are primarily drag racing brakes for drag cars not street cars which is one of the reason Mike has them . The problem is depending on which Aerospace set up you get is they spec a 2500 to 3000 pound car weight limit for the aerospace brakes. Pretty much why your not seeing them on street cars and a 1967 Rebel convertible is I do believe over the 3,000 pound weight limit.

Another alternative is control freak.com , as they make an entire new front suspension system for the Rebels complete with Wilwood disk brakes.   I did not mention them because they are $3,000 US. The Wilwood s  are around $800 US . The scare bird setup might be around $500 - $600 by the time your done. Cheaper but I'm not sure how much cheaper after two new Ford ranger Rotors, rebuilt or new GM calipers and two new Eldorado  Cadillac disk brake hoses. Cheaper but I can not say how much cheaper in the UK after you get the parts all gathered. LRDaum
LRDaum
richy246 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richy246 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2016 at 1:21am
Some really helpful information there for which I am hugely grateful. I e-mailed scarebird and they said I need a different spindle but that appears not to be the case.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2016 at 6:19am
With Scarebird you need a standard drum brake spindle IF you just want to bolt on and go. There are at least three different spindle base thicknesses. If you understand and don't mind spacers or having a disc spindle base machined down (the later discs -- the Bendix four piston discs use the drum spindle IIRC) there isn't a problem. If you have the correct spindles it's pretty much a bolt-on.  The parts may not be so readily available overseas though.

Aerospace makes a vented front disc brake that is spec'd for cars 3800 lbs or less. That make the Rebel convertible a good candidate -- shipping weight was 3195. Their drag race kit with solid drilled rotors is spec'd for cars under 3000 lbs and states "not for street use". The solid rotors aren't that great for stop and go traffic. They heat up on drag cars, but then there is a long time between hard stops.
http://shop.aerospacecomponents.com/4pistonfrontdragracekitamcstreetkit.aspx
Frank Swygert
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2016 at 8:46am
It is my understanding the Chrysler products around the same vintage also used the Bendix Disc brakes and their are interchangeable parts between them. If you are having trouble locating AMC parts try locating them the Chrysler restoration sources.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2016 at 1:40pm
The 1971 to 1974 Kelsey Hays brakes are the same are AMC used in that period and much better brakes , but parts are getting hard to find. All this stuff is 50 years or so old now. Not any ones top 25 best seller on parts. Even the scare bird parts are old by most standards but still readily available at least here. I can not say any thing about the UK. The earlier Mopar Bendix brakes are pretty much the same Mopar tends to use banjo brake lines where as AMC uses the more simple conventional brake lines with one copper seal washer instead of the banjo two thinner ones. Just Mopar did not make the Bendix brakes and so did NOT commonly used disk brakes in that time period pre 1970.Still most likely you will need to do some back yard engineering on the scare bird kit. I missed the Aerospace disk brake kit for street cars. They did not use to have that a couple years ago when I was researching the disk brake setups. LRDaum
LRDaum
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2016 at 5:08pm
Almost all 65-70 disc brakes are four piston Bendix. Ford, Chrysler, and AMC used them, and I think GM did also -- at least in some applications. Calipers are the same, rotors, mounting brackets, and hoses were custom for each manufacturer.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic