TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Mufflers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2016 at 11:56am
I have the Hooker Maximum Flow mufflers. According to the test results posted by Chris, they are supposed to be one of the quietest performance mufflers at idle/cruise. On my Javelin, they are only somewhat tolerable between 2200-2400 rpm ... everywhere else it's a bit loud for comfort, so anything more than a short cruise wants ear plugs. Was planning to fit resonators or a different muffler to help make it quieter, but living with it for now.

Mufflers are only part of the equation for the sound you'll get, so may need some trial and error to suit. Farna's suggestion for a turbo-style muffler, e.g. Dynomax Super Turbo, may be best bet.

Maximum Flow muffler test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF3RfyD-DzE

Hope this helps,RD
bikerfox View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikerfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2016 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by Red Devil Red Devil wrote:

Maximum Flow muffler test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF3RfyD-DzE

Hope this helps,RD

RD--that was funny!
1969 Rebel SST (1970-1987)
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
1969 SC/Rambler (2011-2019)
1970 Javelin (2019 to ?)"Jane"
MarlinSteve View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarlinSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2016 at 3:10pm
I just had some Flowmaster Super HP-2 mufflers with H pipe installed on my Marlin. I got tired of the Cherry Bombs noise. I went with the HP-2s due to lack of space under the Marlin. Quieted it down quite a bit but still sounds good. They are a little larger than the glass packs and are stainless steel. Anyone else try them?

71 Javelin AMX O.O. View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71 Javelin AMX O.O. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2016 at 3:35pm
how about a stock muffer replacement? If I'm going for the top award in AMO it has to look stock. What mufflers give you the performance of a straight through glass pack, but the looks of a stocker?

Steve
67 Marlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2016 at 10:31pm
I love basic turbo mufflers, good performance and a little more aggressive throatier sound than stock, not like a Top Fuel eliminator or a two stroke snowmobile motor. Every time I've improved from stock mufflers and pipes, I consider doing something new just to see if I'll like it, but then go conservative and old fashioned and turbos it is. Then after I order them, I regret not trying something new. But, when I hear the new turbo mufflers installed I think yes that's exactly how it should sound and why did I even consider glass packs or chambered mufflers! I've used Walker turbos a lot and I think they sound beautiful. I've always used 2.25 pipes to the mufflers and 2 inch tail pipes, but I do not race so that's probably too small for the octane masters on the forums. My Marlin was the first car I ever bought that didn't have stock style mufflers on it, the PO installed turbos and it couldn't sound any more perfect. Bloob blub bloob blub blab bloob blub hehe awesome. But, I have been wondering what a 343 would sound like with headers and chambered mufflers, like the Powerstick ones.
jetnoise View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetnoise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2016 at 9:29pm
an H or X pipe will make a noticeable difference in sound levels. I'd start there and make a decision on mufflers after that. Just my $.02

If yours set on a new pair of mufflers still do the H or X pipe. Typically a longer case mufflers for the same mfr or series will be quieter if you have the floor board space.

Don't overlook Walker Turbos. Used them on multiple cars with excellent results.

Edited by jetnoise - Sep/13/2016 at 9:38pm
70 Donohue 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70 Donohue 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2016 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by amxdreamer amxdreamer wrote:

I have the Magnaflows on the 360 in my AMX and they are almost too quiet until you get on it.  2 1/2" pipes with an H pipe on a mild build 360.

Exactly what I have. I saw an ad somewhere for a new adjustable muffler?Made for Mustangs, very pricey!
67 Rogue 290 Convert

70 BBO 390 5 Speed Javelin-under construction
one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2016 at 4:20pm
We fired up the 360 this past weekend with the Thrush Sonic 2`s they sounded a little more crisp than standard turbo mufflers...The outlet tube has 4 rectangle slots cut in it to help with flow and tone change.
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic