TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1973 Javelin power disc brakes locking up ti

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenoshakicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1973 Javelin power disc brakes locking up ti
    Posted: Aug/26/2016 at 6:40pm
This is happening on both sides with the passenger side locking up worse.  This happens whether the car is running and driving or shut off  and just appling the brakes a few times where it sits.  If I let the car sit for a little time, push the puck into the caliper or crack the bleeder the calipers loosen and the rotor spins as it should.  When I crack the bleeder fluid just comes out , it does not squirt out as if under pressure.  I had installed a new rebuilt master cylinder and I had my booster rebuilt as well.  Today I set the master cylinder push rod to the shortest length shown in the TSM. This seemed to help at first but they eventually locked up again, though it seemed like it took longer for this to happen. Are there any common causes for this problem?  Brake hoses collapsing, faulty power booster rebuild?  Any help will be appreciated.  Thanks.
needafasterAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote needafasterAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2016 at 7:12pm
Brake hoses collapsing on the inside.
74 AMX, 401
Viper spec T56 6 speed trans
Hydroboost brakes with rear disks from a Avenger
3:73 TG rear,now Trutrac with 3:15
A Turbo is in my future.
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2016 at 8:42pm
If you loosen the master to booster nuts a few turns does this unlock the brakes? If it does I would say the booster push rod is still to long or a problem with the booster. If nothing changes there is a restriction in the lines somewhere. Most likely in the flex lines.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2016 at 8:58pm
1970390amx is on the right tract. That's where I would start first.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
kenoshakicker View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenoshakicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2016 at 3:26pm
Thanks for the master cylinder loosening method.  When I get the time I will be trying this.  If the rod is too long or if there is something wrong with the booster would the rear brakes be locking up as well?
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2016 at 4:29pm
front brakes usually lock up first
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
kenoshakicker View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenoshakicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2016 at 6:53pm
I loosened the master cylinder and took it for a spin out and back the driveway, many times.  I had just got the..everything is right in the AMC world feeling when I pushed in the clutch and the blasted thing stopped moving.  Locked up  again they were.  So I got out and loosened the master cylinder more and I was immediately able to move the car just by pushing it.  I took the MC off and adjusted the rod, went to put it back on and noticed that the MC hit the rod and it held it a good 1/8" away from the booster.  I then proceeded to turn the rod in a little bit at a time, checking the space between the two.  I stopped adjusting when the MC was flush with the booster.  Took the car for another few test laps and it seems to be working correctly.  Thanks 1970390AMX for the tip!!!! 
I moved on to the next phase which is replacing the battery cables and adding a master cut off switch.  Which will be followed by exhaust, tires, wiring and hopefully an AMX hood.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic