TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

V8 Crossmember

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormogdis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2017 at 12:19am
Will an amx 69 crossmember bolt up to my 73 matador?

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2017 at 6:29am
No. The Javelin AMX of that time frame either used the small car (American) crossmember or one just for that body. The 67+ big cars use a wider crossmember. 
Frank Swygert
ridler3d View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ridler3d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2017 at 11:31pm
Still have that crossmember?
1976 Hornet 258 2bbl swap
Gizmo456 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gizmo456 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2017 at 12:20pm
I have a small body V8 crossmember with motor mounts included. Located on the north west coast. Pm me if you're interested.
tomslik View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomslik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2017 at 7:27am
Originally posted by Stormogdis Stormogdis wrote:

I've got one from a 73 ambo..$100+ shipping if you're interested

Edited by tomslik - Jan/06/2018 at 1:43pm

67 american 290/4speed
Dave Z View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2018 at 7:16am
Originally posted by tomslik tomslik wrote:

Originally posted by Stormogdis Stormogdis wrote:

I've got one from a 73 ambo..$100+ shipping if you're interested

1969 and older used trunions vs. 1970 and up ball joints so there may be a difference to the crossmember.
Ambassador crossmember carried a different part number than Rebel/Matador. There was more room in front of the cowl and the motor was set back on Ambo as compared to Reb/Mat.
Parts book lists the same crossmember for Javelin/Matador.

Dave Z

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2018 at 7:01am
The crossmember should interchange between trunnion and ball joint cars -- lower arms didn't change, and 62-69 upper trunnion big cars (64-69 American/Jav/AMX) used a lower ball joint. As noted, engine mounts on the Ambo crossmember are different, they sit about 4" to the rear, 8" on some models. Driveshaft is the same on the Ambo and Matador -- all length is in front of the firewall but Ambo engine sits back where the Matador engine does.

Hmmm... the 8" longer models (69-74) might use a longer driveshaft and have a larger space between firewall and motor, would have to look that up. Seems like mounts setting the motor back that far would be pretty far back from the crossmember, but that might be the way they are. I don't have much experience with the 69-74 Ambos. 

Edited by farna - Jan/02/2018 at 7:11am
Frank Swygert
RGBJavelin View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RGBJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2018 at 8:25am
I've heard the Ambo X-member set the motor back compared to the Matador, my Matador has alot of room between the firewall and the motor, if the Ambo used the same motor mount location as the Matador half the transmission would be accessible from the engine compartment, i would imagine!

it would be interesting to set the motor back in the Matador, being there is so much room,using an Ambo X-member. would there be any noticable benefit?

i think the lower arms themselves on the trunion upper/lower ball joint cars, were a little different than the 70-up lower control arms, but both fit the x member the same
tomslik View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomslik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2018 at 8:42am
might handle a bit different, you'll need to shorten the driveshaft, the shift linkage will need playing with, exhaust would need attn., along with throttle linkage (cable), maybe hoses....etc
I CAN shoot a pic of a few crossmembers if you would like (including the 73 ambo)

67 american 290/4speed
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2018 at 11:03am
What I think happened is that the motor moved forward a bit in the Matador as compared to the last iteration of the Rebel. The 70 Rebel had a 114" wheelbase, the 71 Matador stretched to 118 -- the same as the 67-68 Ambassador. Not sure if AMC kept the same crossmember or not, but the Ambo was stretched another four inches to 122" in 69. You can only move the motor so far back from the crossmember. At this point the Matador and Ambo might use the same crossmember, but it sounds like they may have kept the previous shorter wheelbase crossmembers and just added the four inches between motor and firewall on both cars. Would take a bit of research to figure it out... photos and parts books...
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic